S-Dizzle's Weekend (w/ Pron)!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Fair Warning - S-Dizzle is moderately inebriated and just finished cooking / eating dinner. Hold on for the ride:

15 May 15 marked the final local flight of my beloved workhorse, the MC-130P Combat Shadow... My boys did an amazing job displaying her versatility of HALO (High-Altitude, Low Opening) Personnel Drops, Helicopter Air-to-Air Refueling, and Tilt-Rotor Air-to-Air Refueling... along with some wonderful formation flying in her last trip around the track before being put out to pasture...

Wait, there's video!? Seriously... Watch this to gain an appreciation of why I'm grouchy...
- [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK2gEM9BGG0"]VIDEO - Serving For Over Fifty Years[/ame]
- Official Hurlburt Field News Release

To celebrate, "Detachment 17," here at Little Rock AFB got together to devour some quality barbecue:

- I hit a rack with Oakridge Dominator rub & a rack with a combo of Fresh Market Anything Goes w/ Oakridge Habanero Death Dust (HDD)... Smoked 'em over apple & hickory for about 4 hours... used the Texas crutch (yeah, sorry...) with some apple juice for an hour before returning them to the gasser (indirect heat) for another 45 minutes. - Work with what you've got!
IMG_0480_zpsb0ii8hoz.jpg

IMG_0482_zpsgvfz9god.jpg

I distracted the boys with some ABTs - Used some Wicken Yanks Savoury Rub over top, and smoked 'em for about 50-70 minutes as my guests arrived. Here they are just before I threw 'em on to cook.
IMG_0481_zpszc7xu83d.jpg

Sunday:

I felt like Indian. 4 years living in East Cambridgeshire (and missing yesterday's Wicken Beer Festival!) really brought those flavors to the forefront as I went grocery shopping..

I only have about 2 weeks left here before moving on... so I'm starting "clean out" time... and Indian just worked... Chicken thighs went into these lovely spices:
IMG_0484_zpsrsiic0mb.jpg

IMG_0483_zpsrorjthlf.jpg

I whipped up some Basmati rice, adding minced garlic along with the usual butter and water as she cooked.

Once the chicken was done marinating, I fired up a bit of EVOO with some onion and some garlic:
IMG_0486_zpsku0mizne.jpg

I added the chicken, and let it brown, stirring several times... smiling each time the bird stuck to the pan:
IMG_0489_zpswdt17iu5.jpg

Toss in some Mr. Patak's Vindaloo (can't believe I'm advocating use of a sauce in a jar)...
IMG_0487_zps98so3mta.jpg

It got a bit oily on top... but that's to be expected with good Indian grub!
IMG_0490_zpsplvmayis.jpg

A taste of home in East Cambs!
Chicken Tikka Vindaloo w/ Cucumber & Onion Raita and Garlic Naan Bread
IMG_0491_zpssvnsdvh5.jpg

Thanks for holding on for the trip... it's been both a rough and enjoyable weekend. You folks help to make it worth-while. Tough to see my girls put out to pasture for good...

Shadow

Last edited:
Wow!! Great video.... I really enjoyed that Shadow. Just think of the history she has seen.... Sad to see her retire but I'm sure it's for the best.
Loved the water salute. Brought back memories for me of some of my pilot relatives.
Thanks for sharing.

Great celebration chow too, looks fantastic!

Thank you very much for your service sir! And that is some fine looking vittles my friend! Thanks for sharing:clap2:.

KC

Back