??'s about the WSM 18.5

It's super easy to cono the temp on a 18.5 WSM. And my temp gauge actually is accurate, although I like to use a probe thermometer at grate level.

You've got a chance to get one free there's nothing to think about, mine cost me $300.

I agree with all this. I've never used a UDS, but my WSM took my BBQ interest to a full-fledged hobby.

I know a lot of guys who buy some cheap crappy smoker, use it, hate it, and never use it again. Not with the WSM :clap2:

oh also my lid thermo was surprisingly accurate, only off about 5 degrees too high

I bought one off CL a couple of years ago and I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Very easy to control temps by managing the intake vents @ the bottom. Mine does not have the lid thermometer, so I use a Taylor candy thermometer stuck in one of the exhaust vents. My only regret about my WSM is that I can't afford a new 22" WSM for larger cooks. Since it's free, I'd jump on that with both feet.

how'd that go? I'm guessing that was on the lower grate?

I've got a 24 pounder in my freezer that I'm thinking of doing in the next couple of weeks.

I was happy with the results. Rube Goldberg would have been proud. I didn't have a beer can big enough to stand it up so I stood it on the bottom grate and tied guy lines to it using butcher's twine. By the time it was done, it probably looked like I was into bondage (not that I would know anything about that.) But it kept some space between the cooker and the bird and worked well. There was no top grate as the turkey stood proud of the middle section.

P1010128-PP.JPG

P1010130-PP.JPG

If your bird is not injected (many or most factory frozen birds are) consider brining it before you smoke it.

the bird's injected, but I'll probably brine anyway...did a 14 pounder with a dry brine a few weeks back, and it turned out really well.
Fortunately, I've got a stand to put the bird on...hopefully it'll stand up well.
I'm sure I'll post that cook if I don't completely fark it up

Thanks for all your replies. Someone asked earlier what other choices do I have, watches/clocks, necklaces, bicycle, lamp, coffee maker/grinder, and cordless power tool set all valued at around $300. I'm kind of at a dilemma, I could used the tool set and I love to cook Q.

Sounds like a thanks but no thanks award. For what's it worth, I thank you for your service to our country and protecting our freedom.
Dayum! I got a freaking 6"x6" piece of etched glass thanking me for 25 years of service to _____ County. Wanna trade for that 18" WSM?

Get it while you can! (the WSM that is, you will love it!)

I have 22's and an 18

I use all of them in comps, but the 18 is the perfect backyard smoker, IMO. I don't think twice about using it in comps as it's every bit reliable as any smoker out there, and yet in my backyard, it's the perfect size, lightweight, compact and pleasing to the eye.

Back