Rubs and Sauces

The local John Deere dealer is now selling Traeger smokers and they have some of their rubs and sauces too. Anyone tried them?

mbowker641 said:
Who can recommend a source for rubs and sauces? Or better yet, some specific ones to try. I'm looking for someplace with variety and a decent selection. Most of the places I've come across only have 2-3 to choose from and the rubs usually are $12-13 for a small container. I can go to Macy's beleive it or not and pay that much.

Where do you MI brethren get yours?

I know you're on overload, but here is what I buy most often:

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/

Get the sampler - one original, one brisket blend. Use the original for things like ribs. Use the brisket blend for larger cuts like brisket (obviously) or butts. Go from there. I bought a bag of their new "Wild" but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Very reasonable price, very good product.

A fellow Michigander,

JimT

mbowker641 said:
Who can recommend a source for rubs and sauces? Or better yet, some specific ones to try. I'm looking for someplace with variety and a decent selection. Most of the places I've come across only have 2-3 to choose from and the rubs usually are $12-13 for a small container. I can go to Macy's beleive it or not and pay that much.

Where do you MI brethren get yours?

I am currently working on becoming a re-seller for a couple of well known brands of rubs and sauces. I am in the Flint Mi, area, it may be a couple of weeks before I can let loose with any details. I will let you know as soon as I get the deals completed...

TygerSmokes said:
I just received my order on Friday from Hawg Eyes BBQ:

1. Blues Hog Sauce
2. Blues Hog Rub
3. Head Country Sauce
quote]

Ya'll gotta try Blues Hog Honey & Mustard --- sweet with a nice (mild)tang to it! It could use some more "kick" to it for me, but a d*mn good sauce for pulled pork sammies. Now I've gotta go to Hawgeyes (it ain't far from home) & get some more 'cause I used up all of the first batch:sad:, but then I'll have more:-D !
Dave

We like Blues Hog sauce and Head Country rub...Careful though a little bit goes a long way with both. Havent been able to get Blues Hog so we have been coming up with our own...:p

I had a chance to try both the Blues Hog Rub and Head Country Sauce this weekend. My wife wouldn't let me open the Blues Hog Sauce, because I've used up all the space in the refrigerator.

BLUES HOG RUB

Nice blend of spices, with a little cayenne kick to it. I tried the rub on a butt and some baby back ribs. The rub is very coarse and complex, and needed a little help adhering to the butt. I used a light mustard slather, which seemed to help. In the attached pic, you can see the cayenne and other spices on the butt. That being said, I'm not sure if this is the right rub for a butt. However, the ribs were excellent. The rub almost looked like a sauce when I pulled them off the smoker - it just melted into the meat creating a nice bark. No need for sauce if you like them dry. This rub is definitely a keeper.

HEAD COUNTRY SAUCE

I just had to try this sauce, after reading all the wonderful comments. I was not disappointed. You won't find a more flavorful sauce. It contains molasses, but doesn't have a dark taste like the Rufus Teague sauce. It has no hotness, but that can be easily cured with a little cayenne. The consistency is just right - not too thick, not to runny. My wife liked it too. The sauce has been around for 60 years, and that speaks volumes. This is certainly one of my top shelf sauces.

Can't wait to try the Blues Hog Sauce on Super bowl weekend...

Attachments

• butt.jpg
    butt.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 40
Back