Royal Oak Lump

I haven’t used it, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Ron_L likes it...:p

Last edited:
Meh, below average lump with too much crap that does not belong in the bag.

But I still use it occasionally.

Haven’t used Royal Oak Lump in a very long time. Guess 5/7 years.
I see it’s back in Walmart under 10$ for 15#. Anyone purchased and burned a bag lately? I’ve walked right by it several times. Honest review.

I used a bag the last hopper doing Wagyu flat and some chops and stuff. I had no issues.

Liked it at first. But the past few bags have had a lot of very small pieces at the end. These are the 15.something lb bags. The 30 lb bags I got seemed to have less small pieces and dust.

Wal-Mart used to ship the 30 lb bags so I ordered enough to get free shipping (3 of them to get to $35). Now they don't ship 30 lb bags! :-o My fault everyone.

Not sure if you have a Gordon Food Service (GFS) by you but, they rebrand RO lump as their own and briqs are RO Chef's Select. I haven't used lump but, a friend swears by the GFS lump. I knew I should have taken pics

^this. I’ve been using the GFS branded RO for a long time — it’s a really good for your normal, every day cooks.

Royal Oak works for me, no complaints using as fuel in the BGE. I buy mine at a local big box store right off a shrink wrapped pallet. Less handling the better, never found any junk other than a few small stones on occasion.

I went out on a limb & picked some up recently for the first time. It was mostly chips & small pieces. A couple of rocks too! Very disappointing. Also completely unnecessary because I have a ton of other good lump choices available as alternatives which are in fact good quality.

I have used it off and on for years. My barbecue team was sponsored by them from 2007-2010. They shipped a pallet of each, lump and briquettes to us each year. I’ll use Ozark Oak as the gold standard and say that OO had more similar size pieces in each bag and the pieces seemed to be more dense when compared to Royal Oak. I never did a timed burn to compare to. We were very honored to be sponsored and during our time as a Royal Oak team, we did very well on the competition circuit. I still use both varieties of RO if I run out of the bargain charcoal that I tend to hoard whenever on sale.

I found a giant piece of insulation in my last bag of royal oak. That did it for me. It did burn hot though and I liked that for sear cooks. Use kamado Joe big block almost exclusively now. Tried four bags of rock wood. The first was great so I ordered three from rock wood. All three of those looked like they’d been backed over by an asphalt roller. Small pieces, tiny bits and half a bag of crumbles. Very disappointed.

I have tried it 2 or 3 times and had similar issues. Multiple Foreign objects found, tons of small pieces and dust and burns way to fast. All I use is B&B , KJ Big block or Fogo if it’s not full price. There is no waste typically with the KJ blocks despite costing a little more.

Gave up on RO a few years ago. Always found a few rocks or other things. Last few bags I tried were too much dust. Discovered BB and haven't looked back.

Back