Roasted garlic jalapeno cheddar bratwurst from spare rib tips

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Whew...that's a mouthful. I trimmed down a couple slabs of full spares to St Louis style that I'm gonna cook for BBQ care packages. One of my favorite parts of having a meat grinder is making use of trimmings, and I think deboned spare rib tips make for great sausage grind. I haven't busted out the sausage stuffer since before Christmas so I thought hey why not?

I grilled a ribeye for dinner, coated in Oakridge BBQ Carne Crosta obviously, and had some leftover heat so I charred up the jalapenos and roasted a couple heads of garlic for about 45 minutes. Removed the skin on the jalapenos and diced, removed the cloves from one head of garlic and smashed up, then into 3.5lbs of deboned rib tips along with some AC Legg Bratwurst seasoning. Poured in some high temp cheddar cheeze, a little powdered milk and some Tender Quick (thanks for the tip, thirdeye), then into some natural casings.

They should be good :thumb:

I got 14 links out of the 3.5lbs of ground rip tips, so nailed my 1/4lb each target :clap2:

Terrific looking links! The very first sausage that I ever made was very similar to those minus the garlic. I was hooked from that point forward. I really like making all kinds of sausage, but that original recipe is still probably my favorite.

I’ve always thought of sausage as the unsung hero of the barbecue world. Folks who eat barbecue away from homecomplain about dry brisket, bland pork tough ribs etc etc Sausage is generally enjoyed with the occasional”that’s different “ or “skin is tough”, but generally sausage is praised even when different. Sausage is awesome, even when it’s not, it is.

I was never really a big sausage fan until I got a grinder...not all store bought sausage is bad, some is quite good actually, but with some of it you “never know what you’re gonna get”. Being able to control what goes into the casing made a big difference for me. While often times it’s “scrap meat” such as this case, the butterflied tip meat and the “skirt” on the back is some of the best eating on the pig, as far as I’m concerned...and now it’s in the sausage. Good in = good out

Last edited:
Back