Ribfest...recognize anyone?

Chuck_NE

Knows what a fatty is.
Our local Ribfest is this weekend. Anyone recognize these names?

Texas Outlaw BBQ, out of Elizabethtown, Kentucky, is a three-time winner of the Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off, the nation’s largest rib cook-off held annually in Reno, Nevada.

Uncle Bub’s BBQ from Naperville, Illinois, is a popular Chicago-area barbecue restaurant that competes on the rib cook-off circuit.

Returning vendors are: Aussom Aussie: Sydney, Australia; Desperado’s BBQ & Rib Co.: Hinckley, Ohio; Howling Coyote Southwestern BBQ: Chicago, Illinois; Johnson’s BBQ: Chesapeake, Virginia; Porky N’ Beans: Port St. Lucie, Florida; Texas Rib Rangers: Denton, Texas; Jonny B’s: Just North of Memphis, Tennessee.

Uncle Bub's has been doing very well at these this year!

Howling Coyote Southwestern BBQ is listed as being from Chicago. I've never heard of them.

If its like the one they had here in Wichita in May, is vendors selling ribs. You have to pay to get in the area, and then pay for the food. Its not a comp.....its a sales venture. During this thing a bunch of folks I know go to eat at local BBQ joints to spite this thing.

Yeah I've been to this thing before...our local BBQ consists of Famous Daves, Dickies, etc so this is usually a nice change from that stuff. I usually only buy from one so wondered if the brethren recognized any.

Yeah I've been to this thing before...our local BBQ consists of Famous Daves, Dickies, etc so this is usually a nice change from that stuff. I usually only buy from one so wondered if the brethren recognized any.

Save your rib fest money and go to Phat Jack's. Matt was one of the top KCBS cooks the last few years here. He 'retired' this year to concentrate on the store.

I know all of these teams. I also am very good friends with the owner of Uncle Bub's BBQ. These are all the big dogs of rib burns. The majority also cook the Sparks, NV event. I got to cook Sparks in 2012 with Uncle Bub's. Quite an experience. As Ron said, Uncle Bub's has 3 or 4 best ribs this summer.

Last edited:
I usually only buy from one so wondered if the brethren recognized any.

I am good friends with Shelly from Desperado's. I always enjoy going to her restaurant as the food is great. Be careful if she starts talking to you...she'll talk your ear off. :thumb:

Save your rib fest money and go to Phat Jack's. Matt was one of the top KCBS cooks the last few years here. He 'retired' this year to concentrate on the store.

Yep, that's what I was going to say. Matt's a great guy and a helluva cook, plus he's a brethren too. Visit him if you aren't able to cook your own.

The Ribfest was held here in my area a few weeks back. I thought it would be interesting to attend and be on the other side for once as I have done people's choice before. They had 8 vendors there. Notice I didn't say rib cookers. I went thinking it would be fun to sample all 8 and I was prepared to spend a couple bucks at each for a bone. Each vendor was selling 3 bones for $8-10. You do the math if you wanted to try all 8. Any way, Texas Outlaw supposed won it. Here is picture if what they were serving. 2 ribs are missing, but I was so disgusted I had to take a picture of the lone rib.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 169
I know all of these teams. I also am very good friends with the owner of Uncle Bub's BBQ. These are all the big dogs of rib burns. The majority also cook the Sparks, NV event. I got to cook Sparks in 2012 with Uncle Bub's. Quite an experience. As Ron said, Uncle Bub's has 3 or 4 best ribs this summer.

Just had dinner at Bubs tonight, my son had a taste for ribs, I went for the pot roast sandwich, always a favorite.

I am good friends with Shelly from Desperado's. I always enjoy going to her restaurant as the food is great. Be careful if she starts talking to you...she'll talk your ear off. :thumb:

Not that I have a pig in this race, but, pretty sure that's not the same Desperado's.

Not that I have a pig in this race, but, pretty sure that's not the same Desperado's.

You may be right. I know she is doing some sort of BBQ event soon in KY. I didn't pay attention that the OP is from Nebraska.

Yep, that's what I was going to say. Matt's a great guy and a helluva cook, plus he's a brethren too. Visit him if you aren't able to cook your own.

I'll have to look him up. Thanks guys. I just turned out my best ribs to date so interested to see what I find tonight. Hopefully not that poor bone drowned in sauce someone posted. GBR

Back