THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rodsboots

Knows what a fatty is.
How long do you leave the rub on your ribs before smokin...
do you overnight em? I have two racks of spares for a BBQ at work tomorrow, not sure if I should rub em now and stick em in the fridge or just do it there before we cook

I started out doing them overnight... Past few years I shifted to applying the rub within 30 minutes of putting on the grates right after I trim them and/or remove membrane while cooker is getting hot.

Never noticed a big difference if any except that if the rub was salty a lot of moisture would be sitting in the plastic wrap the next day.. I figured that was not as desireable as the potential for extra rub penetration so I changed.

Now...for me, it's just easier to make a mess once instead of twice.

if your rub has some salt in it 1hr is good dont overnight salt pulls all moister out and leaves it on the pan

for myself i rub the night before.depending on the salt & sugars in the rub it can actually "cure" & make them hammy appearance wise.

for the public or if i were to compete-a couple hours before puttling them on the pit.

I rub them about 8-9 hours before cooking, and I have a fair amount of salt in my rub. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Hi

As a newbie can you direct me to a thread that talks about trimming a rack of spares? I've always cooked the whole darn thing, was never aware of the need to trim.

I'm here to learn

Thanks
Dave

I rub mine the night before and put in the fridge. I never had a problem with moisture but I don't use a lot of salt either.

I've only cooked ribs about 5 times, but the last 2 times i had the rub on overnight and they turned out fantastic. I didn't have a ton of salt in the rub though.

I try to rub the ribs 12 hours prior to cooking, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Seems to work, as I only got 1 rib of the 5 racks I cooked this weekend. Wish someone had saved me a few......

I know that Fredbird lets his ribs season overnight. There isn't a whole lot of salt in the rub and he got 3rd in the American Royal Invitational with them. Something worked.

Back