THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rib-O-Lator

Full Fledged Farker
i drug out the 55 gal uds today and thought i would cook some ribs. by the way my uds is a GASSER. before you judge me take a look at it.

i cut the bottom out of a 55gal and moved it up to the first rib of the drum and re-welded. in the 12" space below i attached a 55,000btu turkey burner,it only heats up the underside of the bottom.

i then use the regular size rib-o-lator that fits down inside the drum. if i remember right i drilled the spit rod holes about 7" down from the top and then added a universal motor bracket to the other side. i then use a flat lid to cover it.

DSCN0368.jpg

DSCN0369.jpg

DSCN0374.jpg

DSCN0373.jpg

DSCN0371.jpg

this is steam from my drip system
DSCN0376.jpg

this is more steam with just a few drops of water. you can see my drip system on the side.
DSCN0377.jpg

i used a 2lb bag of pecan chips
DSCN0382.jpg

started smokein in about 3 min
DSCN0384.jpg

DSCN0385.jpg

DSCN0388.jpg

one rack spare ribs pre seasond
DSCN0390.jpg

good smoke and lots of it
DSCN0389.jpg

two hrs in i basted them with sauce. i cooked the rib at 300-350- for about 3 hrs. i was experimenting to see what would happen at that temp. the last hour i turnewd it down to 250.
DSCN0391.jpg

you can see how the sauce has caramelized. once i carmalize the sauce i never add more,i just eat them the way they are.
DSCN0392.jpg

DSCN0398.jpg

i tried to squeeze a rib so you could see how much juice was in them.
i have to saw, these are one of the best i have done to date. they where off the bone tender and lots of juice. i think the water injection and the higher heat worked great.

they tasted unbelievably good. the smoke wasn't overpowering nor was the seasoning. everything was just right for a rib party in my mouth. that rack was gone in 10min. i ate them all myself. i love my rib-o-lator, it never fails me.

DSCN0405.jpg

Pretty interesting rig ya got there Bob...does the drip-o-lator keep a continuous drip on the chips? Did you soak the chips first? I like the idea of being able to add steam during the cook. Ribs look great! :p

Nice B-O-B! Put some ribs on that sauce!

Seriously-
I love those Grill-More Rubs and Sauces, which ones did you use?

Nice Bob! Good to see your GUDS, I may give one a try for when its farkin well below freezing out...like today.

On another note, I tried your "original" rub on drum sticks last week and it's some pretty good stuff. Very nice flavor.

Seriously-
I love those Grill-More Rubs and Sauces, which ones did you use? __________________
Brian
Midnight Ramblers BBQ - Left Hand Smoke "Fire it Up"
KCBS/PNWBA CBJ
NorthwestBBQ Competition BBQ team
BBQ Cooking & Competion pics

i used the original sweet rub and the signature dry dub together. and the topped it of with the original sauce. i was eaten them like it was my last supper.

and i only did one rack because that's all i had, and i was the only one eaten.

Back