Rib membrane! Pull/Score/leave alone?

I'm firmly in the "I like the texture" camp so score or if being especially lazy - just leave it alone.

The last time I tried to remove the membrane it was being stubborn, and I never got it off completely. Since then I either score or leave it alone. I do like the crispy pieces that roll up from being scored.

I score on the bone and a couple long scores across the ribs. I can’t tell tell the difference doing it this way versus pulling the membrane.

For those that score the membrane do you get blow outs like one does when they pull the membrane off? Trying to figure out how to stop blow outs from happening.

Ok.. so Life is busy I haven't got to respond to my own thread. Pulling seems to be the way to go and I agree 100% it doesn't take long to do which is why I do it. The response here doesn't make me wanna try the other methods.

Beef, never. Pork, always.

I tend to go buy ribs when I want to cook them, I don't stockpile so mine are never frozen.

Start the edge with a butter knife, pull with a paper towel, it's generally very easy.

Key is butter knife, not a sharp knife. Get underneath and gently pull away from the first bone without slicing the membrane. Then pull. Easy - usually lol

Ditto, never had a blow out. Had to google it to see what it was.

Are you foiling your ribs? The issue appears to occur most commonly with folks that foil.
Here is posting from 2017 that someone showed the bones blowing out: http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245880

From what I have been told one can leave some of the membrane along the top of the ribs to help avoid this issue but I have never tested.

There is a second, thinner, membrane below the membrane we're discussing pulling here. I found it when I got a rack of ribs that the membrane had already been pulled from. I pulled a little of the second membrane before realizing what I was doing and got blown out ribs there. If you pull both membranes you will/can get blown ribs.

Speaking of which, if you have trouble getting the ribs out of the package, you can just leave it on when you cook them. If you use high heat, the packaging wrap will just burn off and your guests won't even know it was there, ... honest. :wink:

This works especially well, when smoking over composite deck scraps.

Last edited:
Don’t like flossing while I’m eating, so I always pull.

Start with the tip of a paring knife and then use the back of a teaspoon and a paper towel. Two minutes, max. Once in a great while, one will be a PITA to get off, so I score it.

Back