Rib frustration!

Here on the left coast we have Smart & Final Stores, where you can get slabs of spare ribs. I prefer the St Luey's that I get at Costco ~ close enough for me....

On the West Coast/Nor Cal, the best seem to be the Cash and Carry or Restaurant Depot. The Cash and Carry are non-branded and the best ribs I have found. The full spares or trimmed, either way, good bones, good meat, no shiner racks so far. Grocery stores are a lost cause, either no spares or Farmer John's, which I won't buy.

In central Arkansas, all the Kroger and Walmart ribs I've seen are enhanced. Anything at Kroger that says moist and tender is enhanced. At Wally World you may have to read a little closer.

Here lately mine from Costco have been the same. I almost feel like they are trying to get two racks out of one. The bone itself was all of 2 1/2"

I've only seen full sized racks at the SAMs at 75 & springcreek. That's where I buy all my meats.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I actually called and spoke with a Costco store manage about the issue. And the lack of quality control coming thru their store. I am meeting them Thursday to discuss and bring pictures from the past couple cooks to show what I am referring too. This includes the two briskets I purchased, that after trimming had 1/4" fat cap ...started with 23lbs of meat, trimmed almost 11lbs of hard nasty fat off. Almost half the weight. Either they have lousy butchers at that store or have issues with their distributor. Either way, I expect better. Used to be I could cook 3 racks of ribs and get 10-12 solid ribs. Lately I barely get 2 per rack.

glad we do not have that problem around here, yes for comp youmight have to sort through a couple cyro vacs, however I am positive you have good ones around you..however as you stated just get the full skirted ones and have at it...just so much waste and full skirts sometimes are package so you cant find straight bones

Since you are planning on competing eventually, you might consider dropping this post in the Competition BBQ discussion area. You will definitely get feedback.

We have always bought untrimmed spares and trimmed them down to St. Louis style before a practice cook or competition. The ability to carefully pick through many cases of ribs is invaluable, IMO. The opportunity to trim them to your exact preference is even more important.

My opinion is to pick the best, buy the best and trim to the specs that you want.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I actually called and spoke with a Costco store manage about the issue. And the lack of quality control coming thru their store. I am meeting them Thursday to discuss and bring pictures from the past couple cooks to show what I am referring too. This includes the two briskets I purchased, that after trimming had 1/4" fat cap ...started with 23lbs of meat, trimmed almost 11lbs of hard nasty fat off. Almost half the weight. Either they have lousy butchers at that store or have issues with their distributor. Either way, I expect better. Used to be I could cook 3 racks of ribs and get 10-12 solid ribs. Lately I barely get 2 per rack.

i bet the ribs have issues from the distributor. i tried to get Costco to find me a 10lb brisket and he told me, sorry he couldnt look for them. i said well ok and walked off. lazy

Your lucky my local Costco rarely has spare ribs let alone St Louis trim. I would just ask the butcher at Costco. They usually are nice about getting you whole cuts or trimmed how I like. Good Luck.

This is how it went -
- Manager apologized
- Butcher was I think maybe 19 and was not prepared for questions I had; was told the main butcher was not in.
- They did not have any untrimmed ribs available and weren't sure they would know when.
- They at first told me I must have been mistaken and over trimmed. Pictures changed that tune related to the brisket. Bottom line they get them by the case and what they were selling as Choice briskets shouldn't have even passed for Select. Not totally sure what the deal is with meat lately but poor service is not a good thing. I used to choose Costco cause that at least meant quality. Now after the past 6 cooks I can't stand their meat.

I got my money back thankfully. In the future I will look else where.

This is how it went -
- Manager apologized
- Butcher was I think maybe 19 and was not prepared for questions I had; was told the main butcher was not in.
- They did not have any untrimmed ribs available and weren't sure they would know when.
- They at first told me I must have been mistaken and over trimmed. Pictures changed that tune related to the brisket. Bottom line they get them by the case and what they were selling as Choice briskets shouldn't have even passed for Select. Not totally sure what the deal is with meat lately but poor service is not a good thing. I used to choose Costco cause that at least meant quality. Now after the past 6 cooks I can't stand their meat.

I got my money back thankfully. In the future I will look else where.

An carcass is graded based on a cross-section of the ribeye, so every piece of meat from the same carcass gets the same grade.

Back