Review: Old vs New Kingsford® Charcoal (tons of pics)

John, that was an excellent and thorough review! Thanks for taking the time to do this...

Excellent comparison. I think I speak for all of us who still use blue bag K when I say that you've done us a terrific service.

Thanks. I was a cub scout and webelo (isn't that much too close to "we below" or "we blow"?).

Does that count? :-D

John
No doubt, you most certainly earned the Arrow of Light (Weblos top merit) too...

Good data... as an engineer, I can't get too much data!

John,

Thanks for doing the research and for sharing your results. Seems the new product has a lot going for it. Maybe a couple adjustments to the BBQ log when using these new bags.

Rich

Nice job John! I for one would be very interested in a comparison of the Comp vs either of the others. I tried a couple of bags of the comp in my 22.5 WSM and liked the odor and how easily it lit, but it sure seemed to burn out fast.

Thanks for the project report John!

Interesting that the smaller new briquettes actually weigh more. As you noted initially they seemed more compact/compressed to you, which explains the longer burn.

Is there still a "K" stamped on the other side?

This diagonal placement of the Sure Fire grooves is certainly going to fark with my downward left east facing for proper heat control :wink:

Thanks again!!

I think my next review might be "blue bag" Kingsford vs. their Competition (which I love). That would be interesting.

John

VOTE: I, for one, would love to see those results. I've wondered
myself on more than one occasion...

Thanks Jon, is the old "K" still being sold?, and WHEN is the test w/ competition "k" ? I can't wait! Over here the "comp. k" sells at Costco for 17.79 2/pack bag, says it burns just as long as the 21# regular "K" What do you think?

MY GOD!!! this is Funkmasta SPUD material. This is urgent news. I was noticing this now that I am buying coal for my little weber.

I am so glad you did this!!!!

Actcually, I want to produce a emercial or video combining both Video and your study (giving you proper credit and final approval) to place on my webChannel!!!!

I could gear it to "what we do at the BBQ Brethren" to attract more members in here... this is what its all about.

PM me if you want.

Actcually, I want to produce a emercial or video combining both Video and your study (giving you proper credit and final approval) to place on my webChannel!!!!

I could gear it to "what we do at the BBQ Brethren" to attract more members in here... this is what its all about.

PM me if you want.
Sure. Go for it!

John

Thanks Jon, is the old "K" still being sold?, and WHEN is the test w/ competition "k" ? I can't wait! Over here the "comp. k" sells at Costco for 17.79 2/pack bag, says it burns just as long as the 21# regular "K" What do you think?
Yeah, the old stuff is still around as they phase in the new. I found the bag of the old at a local Lowe's and I got the new at Home Depot.

I really like the Competition stuff, and I don't have any numbers (yet), but I doubt that it burns as long as the blue bag. I do know that it seems to burn much hotter and has less ash.

John

Back