THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarhead

Knows what a fatty is.
I ordered a couple of JUMBO 11-1/2” Economy Full Mesh Vacuum Sealer rolls from Vacuum Sealers Unlimited.

JumboBags1.jpg

10% Discount Code = 12MAY2012 at checkout.
One roll is the equivalent to 3+ rolls of the FS rolls for $15.95 (50 feet) before discount.
They are advertised as:

Our 11.5 x 50 foot rolls are a 1/2 inch wider than FoodSaver's. They are much less expensive and will work with all FoodSaver and Seal a Meal machines.

so I bought a couple to try.
After a closer look at one of the rolls, I was wondering if they would fit into my vertical V3485. My fears came true, they won't.

JumboBags2.jpg

JumboBags3.jpg

Plan “B” - When it quits raining, I'll go get my old flat top FS out of the shed. So hopefully, all is not lost. I'll just cut in the old one, until it fits in the vertical.
Nope, not in the flat one either. Can't close the lid to cut it.
Man, that thing collected a bunch of dust in a year and a half in storage!

JumboBags4.jpg

Plan “C” - Roll half or so onto an old cardboard spool. Pic later, when I get an empty spool.

They also sell all kinds of sealer rolls, sizes and accessories. So check em out.
I'll be putting these to use on that 34 pounds of bacon coming off this week.

This is a Review in progress, so stay tuned. More to follow, including ease of use and durability.

Thanks for lookin'. BTW, I am NOT part of this company.

Thanks for the info AquaBlue.

Edit to add the email that I just received:
The 50’ rolls aren’t supposed to fit in your machine. They are supposed to be economical.
It can be rolled into a tube with or without a cardboard roll.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will stay tuned to the review as I am in need of some bags but have been holding off due to the brand-name cost.

OK, everybody. I broke down and rolled up about half the Jumbo roll.
I love these little tabs. Easy to get off. You don't have to fight with a piece of tape that is put on with Gorilla Glue.
Save those tabs, we'll use them later.

P1010089Small.jpg

After rolling enough, I put it in the FS to get a guestimate of how much I had to roll up.
I kept on rolling a little more and with light pressure, it fell right in.

P1010091Small.jpg

I thought about grabbing the scissors, but after I looked at it and had a beer break, I realized that the built in cutter would cut straighter than I could and I didn't have to find my scissors.

P1010092Small.jpg

Remember those tabs that I told you to save?

P1010093Small.jpg

Compared to the FS 11” roll

P1010094Small.jpg

First bag made, stuffed with ham and marked.

P1010096Small.jpg

I like the bags. Both sides a smooth enough to write on with a Sharpie. So it don't make any difference.
I was quite impressed with the seal. Nice and solid all of the way through and across.
I'll be doing another test on my 10 year old flat FS to see if there is any difference. After I clean it up and providing it still works.
Also to come, will be a test on moist foods that will fill your drip tray up, if not careful.
You should notice that I put a “packed on date” on it. I'll be pulling it out once a month and taking a pic for you.
So, stay tuned.

I got some bags that didn't fit the sealer I have, so I just ran the plastic in backwards to sealer and cut the bag to the size I need.

gtr, I thought about that. But I figured it would be easier and more convenient to make two rolls out of one. That way my roll in use is out of my way.
Thanks for the input.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Very useful info, Jarhead. I'm following to see how the bags hold up over time. Great thread! :wink:

Back