Reverse Sear Leg of Lamb !!!!!!!!!

S

Sausage Warrior

Leg of lamb was on sale at Meijer for $4.99 a pound.

I was on it like white on rice!

2014-12-16131646.jpg

I pealed garlic cloves and made about 12 slits inserting the garlic in the leg of lamb. I made a marinade, an injection, and a rub going with Greek flavors.

I juiced about 10 lemons total. The injection was 70% beef broth, 30% lemon juice brought to boil with rosemary, garlic, and mint. It was cooled and injected.

2014-12-16131711.jpg

The marinade was the balance of the lemon juice with an equal amount of olive oil, 8 cloves of garlic, 1/4 oz of mint leaves, four rosemary sprigs, two tablespoons dried oregano, a tablespoon of Kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. It was marinated in the fridge for for over 48 hours, flipped about every 12 hours, then removed and patted dry.

2014-12-18132222.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, now it's rub time! I wont go into exact quantities but it included; Kosher salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, finely chopped rosemary, cinnamon, nutmeg, oregano, fennel seed, a bit of cardamom, and garam masala.

2014-12-18131701.jpg

After a major scare with my new Green Mountain Pellet Smoker (DB model) on it's virgin cook I finally figured out my problem and got it going just fine! It was 28 degrees - you can see the insulated jacket they make for the pellet smoker. Works like a champ and conserves pellets. Pellets were hardwood mixture of hickory and oak.

In goes the lamb . . . .

2014-12-18131714.jpg

Here's the remote control showing the temp of the smoking chamber and the internal meat temp. It's amazing how well this baby holds temp. Since there's a fan to help pellet combustion there is a convection process.

2014-12-18144000.jpg

I checked temp with another probe in the meat to be sure I was at temp.

2014-12-18153243.jpg

With internal temp at 130 I pulled and wrapped the meat in foil for a reverse sear. There was little reason to. Within 3 minutes I was at 450 and ready to sear.

2014-12-18153350.jpg

After reaching 450 I seared each side for about 4 minutes giving a quarter turn and out she came to rest uncovered.

2014-12-18155745.jpg

2014-12-18161416.jpg

2014-12-18160724.jpg

I made some mint pesto with 1/2 oz mint leaves, EVOO, garlic, a couple of tablespoons basil pesto, S&P and served it with some sugar snap peas, dates, some pita bread fresh from a Mediterranean bakery and Bordeaux.

2014-12-18160748.jpg

As you can see in spite of a long rest in the lemon juice there was no mushiness! It was as soft and tender as a filet mignon and the best leg of lamb I've had to date!

Good to the last bite . . . thanks for viewing! I think I'm really gonna love this new pellet grill.

2014-12-18161922.jpg

Leg of lamb is not as delicate as ribs or chops which I enjoy pretty much with straight S&P. Where there appears to be a lot going on here you need to consider that the garlic in the lamb mellows much the way it does when you roast a bulb in the oven. The rub went on right before the cook so only flavors the exterior.

Cowgirl as much as I enjoyed that today I'd be glad to swap some leftovers for some of that boudin stuffed quail. I got to get busy making some sausage again! Oh December is murder with my son and daughters birthdays, my step granddaughter, my anniversary and Christmas the same month! Gotta find time to cook!

I think the way you cooked it is the best when smoking is involved. If it is only smoked, I find lamb gets pretty greasy and has a unattractive slippery quality. When it has a grill at the end, all that fat is burnt up and the crisper outside gives a great contrast to the inside. I actually find my Smokey Joe gives the best results, indirect first for about 1 hr, then grilled at the end.

What you have looks delicious.

Back