Remote Thermometer Choices

Cueford T. Justice

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
I am on the list for a Shirley Patio model and want to get a remote thermometer. I have read all the threads I can. I’m looking for any help deciding between these models. A grate probe and two meat probes would be plenty for me. My cooking area would be in range of WiFi but I might push the limits of Bluetooth.

Thermoworks Smoke is $99. Many seem happy with this. Uses Bluetooth so range might be limited?

The Smoke X uses RF wireless and claims to have better range. Does it? Haven’t found much on it yet. It is $140 - $160.

The Thermoworks Signals uses WiFi. It is $229. Have they mastered WiFi yet?

Fireboard 2 is $189. Many seem to like this also. Uses WiFi so range would not be an issue for me and I don’t mind using my phone.

Fireboard Pro uses the K thermo couplers and is $299. Are the type K just to allow faster reads at higher temps? I won’t have this super hot. Is this overkill?

I’m leaning towards the Fireboard 2. Am I missing anything or will this probably check all the boxes for me? Thanks in advance and happy weekend to all!

Thermoworks Smoke uses RF, and in my experience it has a very solid range. I've never had a problem with that signal going from outside to inside my house. I've had my Smoke for at least 3 years and it's a solid piece of equipment.

I also have the Signals and the wi-fi is OK, but you do have to ensure that you're using a 2.4GHz band (ie 2g rather than 5g). This gives you better range in theory but I have had issues some nights (during the day it always works for some reason) where I don't get updates for long periods of time...sometimes 10-15 minutes.

If you're just looking for "passive monitoring" then I think the Thermoworks Smoke is absolutely the best bang for the buck. Reliable, easy to use, and the probes are some of the best on the market in my experience.

I have both the Smoke and Smoke X4 and the Smoke X4 has way better range for my use.

Most of my cookers are under a metal carport with sides that is at the end of the house from the kitchen/dining area where I usually monitor from and the regular smoke loses signal constantly to the point that it's about useless. The only time it works without signal loss is if I use it right outside from where the receiver is.

I've used the Smoke X4 under the carport for 13 hours with no loss of signal at all. I love this thing. Our internet is spotty sometimes so a wifi based thermometer is not the best option for me.

I have an Igrill2 (Blue tooth) and an older Maverick RT732 (RF signal) the range on the Maverick (RF) is considerably more. When I get a new one, I will be looking at RF type.

Not one of the ones you have listed, but I would recommend the ThermoPro TP08S for backyard cooks. It has worked well for me, and it is significantly less expensive than any of the ones you have listed.

I love my Fireboard 2 Drive. The pro model you are looking at also has the drive capability, and I doubt it would be something you ever use for the Shirley. The standard model would be fine, unless you have another cooker you could use it with like a Kamado or something else more set and forget.

I’ve had the thermoworks before. I went through probes like candy. Love the thermal energy, but the probes on the thermoworks were too unreliable for my liking. Never knew if the probe would work when I plugged it in. I have a Maverick now and not a single issue. If it ever poops out, I’m probably leaning toward the Meater Block.

Thank you guys for all the responses. Seems like a mixed bag so I’ll just have to find the one that’s right for my uses. Sometimes I laugh at our hobby and equipment. I’m at my Dad’s house tonight. He is 80 and I just cooked a whole pork loin on his 30 gallon drum grill that some high school kids made in shop class. I remember when he got it in 1985. I was in high school. That thing has turned out more good meat than I can shake a stick at. We have reinforced the bottom where it burnt out and it’s still going strong— drafty as it is. I don’t think I can go wrong on the thermometer choice!

I have the Fireboard 2 with the fan cable for my WSM 22".

The Fireboard 2 is really good when it works.Nice big screen to to see all the info.
At times for some unknown reason the Fireboard 2 will lose my data and come right back with the data?
That said I would buy it again.
DanB

Fireboard either generation. Fireboard Pro is overkill for most of us. Don't know about the others, but not only can you use the app on your phone, Fireboard also has a feature on their website that lets you monitor and adjust the Fireboard in the same way as the phone app

Fireboard also has a feature on their website that lets you monitor and adjust the Fireboard in the same way as the phone app
^^^ this! ^^^
I didn't mention it but I use this often. When I have something on the grill/smoker and I'm in the house surfing I have a Fireboard tab opened on my browser and I can click over and check the cook at anytime. Its a really nice and helpful feature.

Reading the OP, the thing that jumped out was that's a LOT of money. I can buy a back-up pit for the cost of some of those. Over the past dozen years, I've had about a half dozen remote thermometers of varying prices. Most of them weren't worth a chit. They'd lose connection and wouldn't give me a warning (I've got thick walls in my house). I saved many a roast by sheer luck. A friend of mine picked up an Inkbird really cheap and said it was great, no problems. Now I'd spent 5x the cost of the Inkbird and gotten crap, so I was dubious, but I spent a whopping $15 on their cheapest model. I've had it for at least 5 years now. The thing has never lost connectivity and links up without pushing a button, which is great because I'm really stupid and can't remember chit. They no longer produce this cheapest of the cheapest models that I purchase, but I would expect many of the same electronics are in their other models. I would recommend giving them a shot for a Jackson before shelling out a couple Franklins on something that might not be any better.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Some of you set me straight on the technology used by some models, etc. I decided to get the Fireboard 2. I liked that it had wifi or bluetooth where wifi isn’t available. Wifi will be good at home and bluetooth for when I cook for the scouts on campouts. Glad to see there are several strong companies and models out there to fit everyone’s needs. Appreciate all the input!

Back