Regional Team of the year champions

Slamdunkpro

Babbling Farker
How many associations have Team of the Year races and who are the 2014 winners?

NEBS - Smokin Hoggzs
MABA - not official until the annual meeting but I'm 99% sure of who it is
FBA -Sweet Smoke Q
Great Lakes?
KCBS - Warren County Pork Choppers
PNWBA - Wine Country Q
Rocky Mountain ?
GBA ?
Utah BBQ - Nations Best BBQ
Southern BBQ Network (SBN) - On The Spot BBQ
Arizona Grand Canyon State BBQ-Loot n Booty BBQ
California BBQ Association(CBBQA)-Simply Marvelous BBQ

Last edited:
Georgia had two this year.

The Southern BBQ Challenge team of the year is Scott Smith with QUE'N, STEW'N & BREW'N.

The Georgia BBQ Championship team of the year is Jim and Jan Burg with Killer Bees.

It was kind of confusing this year having two point chases going on in the same state, some contests were GBC qualifiers, some were SBC qualifiers, some were double points, some were single points, some were qualifiers for both, etc... I personally hope that they pull it under one state championship in 2015, but that's just my opinion.

Georgia had two this year.

The Southern BBQ Challenge team of the year is Scott Smith with QUE'N, STEW'N & BREW'N.

The Georgia BBQ Championship team of the year is Jim and Jan Burg with Killer Bees.

It was kind of confusing this year having two point chases going on in the same state, some contests were GBC qualifiers, some were SBC qualifiers, some were double points, some were single points, some were qualifiers for both, etc... I personally hope that they pull it under one state championship in 2015, but that's just my opinion.
Are these affiliated with associations or just points challenges?

You are correct, these are just points challenges.... To my knowledge the GBA is the only Georgia specific association that sanctions it's own contests. 92 BBQ/Assassin Smokers appears to be the team of the year in the GBA.

Quick question for you guys.... Do most "Associations" sanction their own contests under their own rules, judges, etc, or do they count points from existing sanctioned contests by a sanctioning body like a KCBS that take place within their state, like a points challenge? I know the FBA, but what about the other states? This is all new and very interesting to me, so thanks for the info!

Quite a distinguished list.

NEBS - Smokin Hoggzs
MABA - not official until the annual meeting but I'm 99% sure of who it is
FBA -Sweet Smoke Q
Great Lakes - IBQ'n
KCBS - Warren County Pork Choppers
PNWBA - Wine Country Q
Rocky Mountain - GQue in the Cup division(6 or more contests)
Parrothead Smokers in the Shot Glass division(5 or less)
GBA - 92 BBQ/Assassin Smokers
Utah BBQ - Nations Best BBQ
Southern BBQ Network (SBN) - On The Spot BBQ
Arizona Grand Canyon State BBQ-Loot n Booty BBQ
California BBQ Association(CBBQA)-Simply Marvelous BBQ
Memphis Barbecue Network (MBN) - Victory Lane BBQ
Oklahoma BBQ Society - Clark Crew BBQ
South Carolina Barbeque Association (SCBA) - Smokin' Stacks

Last edited:
Quick question for you guys.... Do most "Associations" sanction their own contests under their own rules, judges, etc, or do they count points from existing sanctioned contests by a sanctioning body like a KCBS that take place within their state, like a points challenge? I know the FBA, but what about the other states? This is all new and very interesting to me, so thanks for the info!

Each association is probably different but I can tell you how MABA does it. We generate points from MABA, BBQ Brethren and KCBS sanctioned 4 meat contests that take place in our 7 state area.

The Georgia BBQ Championship is the state's original points series for KCBS State Championship events in Georgia. The GBC is strong as ever and will not be combining with any other groups with a more diluted focus.

This list would make an interesting IROC type invitational.

Kell Phelps, editor/publisher of the National BBQ News used to host and organize the "Best of the Best" each year. They would invite the top 10 teams from each sanctioning group to come to GA and compete head to head with some modified rules taken from each group. Categories were whole hog, chicken, ribs, pork, and brisket. You had to choose any 3 categories when you entered. Some strategy involved there. Highest total score won. Paid top 10 in each category. Boxes were 9x11, no garnish, 1 sheet of foil, 1 hour turn ins. Fantastic contest, lots of fun. Invitational on Th/Fri with a $30,000 pot, Open on Fri/Sat with a $20,000 pot. Unfortunately not too many KCBS teams would participate, being the lowest represented percentage-wise. Which was a shame because the lack of those teams likely contributed to it eventually shutting down, in my opinion. Still to this day one of my top 3 contests of all time.

Kell Phelps, editor/publisher of the National BBQ News used to host and organize the "Best of the Best" each year. They would invite the top 10 teams from each sanctioning group to come to GA and compete head to head with some modified rules taken from each group. Categories were whole hog, chicken, ribs, pork, and brisket. You had to choose any 3 categories when you entered. Some strategy involved there. Highest total score won. Paid top 10 in each category. Boxes were 9x11, no garnish, 1 sheet of foil, 1 hour turn ins. Fantastic contest, lots of fun. Invitational on Th/Fri with a $30,000 pot, Open on Fri/Sat with a $20,000 pot. Unfortunately not too many KCBS teams would participate, being the lowest represented percentage-wise. Which was a shame because the lack of those teams likely contributed to it eventually shutting down, in my opinion. Still to this day one of my top 3 contests of all time.

I count 14 regional associations - that's a potential for over 100 teams. Perhaps he could revisit it

Back