THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zlloyd1

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Zach
Been reading here for a month, finally decided to make a post to hopefully get some guidance. Ourdoor living area is going up as we speak and I have dedicated an 18’ long side to cooking and serving. My plan currently is BGE, the new RecTeq Built In Pellet Smoker and I really like the idea of adding the matching pellet griddle from them. Questions are: anyone have experience with the recteq griddle? And has anyone taken it off of the cart and used it as a built in?

I do not have any experience with the griddle or built-in, but I have used their products for many years. I started with a RecTeq mini. I used it for six years and it worked flawlessly. I upgraded to the 1250 for more space, and I added a Bullseye Deluxe for high-temp grilling. I also purchased the griddle inset (it's removable) for the Bullseye. This combination works very well for my needs.

For me, RecTeq hits a perfect balance between affordability and very high quality for the price. I have had my new 1250 and Bullseye for over two years, and again they have worked flawlessly.

Their support is great also.

Good luck on your purchase!

I will admit I have the RecTeq blinders on because I have lusted over one for a while now(had a GMG previously that I wasn’t in love with. I gave it away when we started the backyard build late last year).

I’m pretty set on those 3 cooking items and really like being able to match the pellet grill and griddle.

The prior Recteq 1070 for built ins had a short life and teething problems. I almost bought one but went with a RT1250 which was worked well but is also discontinued. Glad I didn’t chose the 1070. Their support has been excellent.

Recteq recently (6-12 months?) went Corporate/ investors and lots of changes going on. The remote start feature was taken away with a software upgrade allegedly due Federal regulations and some idiots gardener who saw a cover not on a grille and decided to be a nice guy and put it on only to be a fireball when unsuspecting grill operator used remote to turn it on.

That said, I would not be a first adopter. I’m in planing stages for an outdoor cooking space. All cooking devices will be free standing, not built in, standard sizes, and off to the dump when they die and a new unit wheeled in.

The remote start being disabled isn’t an issue for me as I’m too cautious to ever start it while I’m not there. My initial thought was to set it up exactly as you described but I worry about it becoming cluttered if items do not have there own exact place.

The remote start being disabled isn’t an issue for me as I’m too cautious to ever start it while I’m not there. My initial thought was to set it up exactly as you described but I worry about it becoming cluttered if items do not have there own exact place.
When the appliance (cooker) dies or you want something different, you are now changing cabinets/countertops. Gets spendy quick. Understood on preserving the natural order.

The remote start disabling really pissed me off and soured me greatly on Recteq. Key reason I bought it along with my brother in law's recommendations (he has same RT1250). They have not compensated me for deletion and there are no plans to do so.

@larry4406 - you can download the smart life app to get back your remote on/off capability.
I've got a 1070, it has pissed me off pretty often - but when it works it's pretty great. If you can keep it dry - it keeps working.
There were some smart design changes to get to the 1300, but at $3500 - there's just no way I'd ever go for that.

Yeah that was not a safe feature. I always go out and clean out my fire pots and make sure its burning clean before i walk away.

I kind of figured they released a new model fixing design flaws rather than continue to improve the product with the same name associated with said design flaws. Grill area will be covered so weather/water shouldn’t be an issue. My main concern is trying to make that new griddle work as a built in. Aesthetics are very important to me overall because the backyard showcases my own work (swimming pool contractor).

I am a RecTeq supporter too. Have had my 590 for 3+ years with no problems. I like the look of their griddle, but man that is a tough price point to swallow for a griddle.

I have the 1070 and was mentioned, I don’t like the design due to the water issues. (Though my prior 680 was bullet proof). My sense is that they fixed that in the new model. On the griddle, if you want it to match then it’s pretty much your option.

I don’t have experience with it but have had a couple gas versions for years and I like having the option of varying the intensity of the four burners across the surface. Candidly, I usually don’t have them set differently but it’s nice to have the option. Even with four burners both my Blackstone and now Weber aren’t completely even across the surface. Again, zero personal experience but I’ve wondered how even the RT could be with even less coverage of the heating element.

Spoke to RecTeq (only out on hold for about 10 seconds) and they were not too keen on the idea of removing the legs of the griddle ti make it a built in; something about it interrupting the airflow under it. And I didn’t think about the heat zones. I currently use a 4 burner PitBoss and always have a cool side while cooking hibachi or breakfast. So I’m back to exploring all of the griddle options

Back