THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jersey Joe

Knows what a fatty is.
I was able to take 2 fish out of the Atlantic yesterday evening and I'd like to make one of them for dinner tonight on my kettle. (The other pair of filets are in the freezer for future use).

NJ state size limit is 18", if it was 17" I'd have about 10 fish.:doh:
So they're decent sized filets.

Any ideas? Marinades? Full meals? Stuffed and grilled? Fry 'em instead? Whaddya say?

I'm going to make my decision around 4pm.

Flounder is a mild fish so you want to avoid strong herbs that will overpower the flavor. I'd go with a little olive oil and lemon spread on the fish, sprinkle lightly with a little cajun spice rub mix and grill.

10 minutes per inch of thickness on a medium hot grill over direct heat should do the trick.

Flounder is a mild fish so you want to avoid strong herbs that will overpower the flavor. I'd go with a little olive oil and lemon spread on the fish, sprinkle lightly with a little cajun spice rub mix and grill.

10 minutes per inch of thickness on a medium hot grill over direct heat should do the trick.

I agree with Larry.. lemon and olive oil go great along with a little bit of a kick in the rub.

url

:shocked:

OK... Seriously... Brush the fillet with olive oil and then hit it with a little lemon pepper seasoning. Since flounder if a light, flaky fish, you way want to cook it on a piece of foil to make turning it easier (or, don't turn it).

Blackened Grouper is probably my very favorite meal ! If ya like a little spice in your life, get out the cast iron pan, and the turkey fryer heating unit. Dredge the grouper in melted butter, and shake blackening seasoning all over it (my favorite is Paul Prudomme's Blackened Redfish Magic). Throw them in a VERY hot, (pre-heated) cast iron pan, and stand back. Flip after about 3-4 minutes, and cook the other side the same. Must do this OUTSIDE, as the smoke is very heavy.

I feel you pain, that seems to be the only fish we ever catch, 1 inch short of the limit!

I like to make a foil pouch and line the bottom with lemon, lime and orange slices place the fish on that layer and top with another layer of lemon, lime and orange slices and any other herbs you may have, basil, etc. and a little Old Bay. Seal it up and throw it on the grill for about 15 to 20 minutes per side. It steams the fish in the fruit juices and give a wonderful flavor......Enjoy

I vote stuffed! Maybe with some crabmeat with a little herbed stuffing. Could still do it on the grill.

I agree with Larry.. lemon and olive oil go great along with a little bit of a kick in the rub.

url

:shocked:

OK... Seriously... Brush the fillet with olive oil and then hit it with a little lemon pepper seasoning. Since flounder if a light, flaky fish, you way want to cook it on a piece of foil to make turning it easier (or, don't turn it).

flounder_animal_house_1c.jpg

The "other" flounder.
(I've got a giant spatula for fish so I'm gonna go flat out and cook it right on the grill so far). Thanks!

Blackened Grouper is probably my very favorite meal ! If ya like a little spice in your life, get out the cast iron pan, and the turkey fryer heating unit. Dredge the grouper in melted butter, and shake blackening seasoning all over it (my favorite is Paul Prudomme's Blackened Redfish Magic). Throw them in a VERY hot, (pre-heated) cast iron pan, and stand back. Flip after about 3-4 minutes, and cook the other side the same. Must do this OUTSIDE, as the smoke is very heavy.

Not looking to blacken these filets...BUT I will remember this technique for next time! Thanks.

I feel you pain, that seems to be the only fish we ever catch, 1 inch short of the limit!

I like to make a foil pouch and line the bottom with lemon, lime and orange slices place the fish on that layer and top with another layer of lemon, lime and orange slices and any other herbs you may have, basil, etc. and a little Old Bay. Seal it up and throw it on the grill for about 15 to 20 minutes per side. It steams the fish in the fruit juices and give a wonderful flavor......Enjoy

I even tried to "massage" one of the 17 &3/4" ones...but the captain wasn't having it!

So far... I'm going with olive oil, lemon, and a little dusting of old bay or some creole seasoning right over some hot lump.

Thanks for your ideas! :thumb:

I'll still take any new ones...

I fried it... No breading, just a pat of butter and OO in my "non-stick" cast iron pan.

Sprinkled a healthy dose of creole spice on there. (I think it was the best way to go for this particular fish.

Stripers and blues are next!!!

Back