Rec Tec vs. Yoder?

What about a bbq guru for your current set up? Just thinking a couple things I have found since I bought a pellet grill: one pellets do you have a reliable local source or will you need to order them? I have to go out of my way to get pellets. Fuel consumption and cost is a concern. Generally fuel for my traeger is consumed quickly it works but it is not fuel efficient at all and well I am sure a rec tec and yoder are both much more fuel efficient they are not perfect. Also, what about rain? Do you have a way to protect the grill in rain? At least with traeger grills I find rain to be an issue when running. I have to bag up the controller and pellet hopper but not cover the fan. It can be done but not easily. From what I understand a guru will free you up but at least you can use charcoal to fuel your smoker. If you didn't like your green mountain grill consider why would you like another one better? Just saying pellet grills aren't for everyone. I love mine but fuel makes it a spring and summer smoker only. I won't buy another because while cool technology wise it leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to the weather where I live. It still needs babysitting due to rain and fuel consumption.

Love my GMG Daniel Boone - great smoke and works flawless. I'm curious what your issues were? They supposedly have outstanding customer service.

I bought the optional blanket for winter smoking and saved a ton of pellets if economy is a factor.

I agree GMG has outstanding service and many people love them and I can understand why. When I had my Jim Bowie though I had to replace four different components over the course of about 18 months. While each time they were more than helpful it just put a sour taste in my mouth about GMG. I'm sure I just got a one off cooker.

I believe I originally said get the 640. But the difference in pricing between a 640 and RT is $450 if you get the 640 w/ second shelf. I wouldn't get the 640 without that additional space. Period. I still would rather have the 480 over the RT. But that is just me. RT owners seem to be passionate about their units, so who knows.

I owned a 640 w/comp cart and sold it to get the 1500. But the 1500 is tough for my wife to wheel in and out of the garage, and so I have added the 480. We use it all the time. It is a little workhorse. But, as I said before, if this is just a "do for" and you plan on selling it later to get a stick burner or vertical - I think you will find it easiest to sell the 640.

I believe I originally said get the 640. But the difference in pricing between a 640 and RT is $450 if you get the 640 w/ second shelf. I wouldn't get the 640 without that additional space. Period. I still would rather have the 480 over the RT. But that is just me. RT owners seem to be passionate about their units, so who knows.

I owned a 640 w/comp cart and sold it to get the 1500. But the 1500 is tough for my wife to wheel in and out of the garage, and so I have added the 480. We use it all the time. It is a little workhorse. But, as I said before, if this is just a "do for" and you plan on selling it later to get a stick burner or vertical - I think you will find it easiest to sell the 640.

I've noticed that more and more from RT owners.

I have neither Yoder or RT, but as a comp cook that has been around a few comps. I can assure you that we have the money to cook on whatever pellet smoker we chose, with that said, I see a LOT of Yoder smokers and most cooks seem pleased with the product they produce. I'd pick the Yoder myself.

I'll chime in because I also went through this, as did many others, but won't advise you either way, you really need to decide.

Here's the deal. If you eat food cooked on any of the pellet units you will have a hard time telling the difference in food quality, if you could even tell. So now, the rest is what do you want to spend and for what?

I was new to pellets and did all kinds of research. I really liked a lot of the other units but didn't know if pellets were for me. Once I figured out they would all produce great food the choice became easy for me. I bought a Rec-Tec, the price point was right (value for the dollar), the warranty is six years (last three with deductible) and customer service is amazing. I figured if I didn't like pellets I wasn't out too much and if I did like pellets I could upgrade to whatever I wanted 4 years or so down the road. Plus, by then, there will be better controllers, augers, etc., who knows we may be cooking with solar or nuclear power! :clap:

Now, after owning the Rec-Tec a while, if it came time to buy a new one and all things were exactly as they are today, I would do it over again. Yes, some parts are manufactured in China but the company is in the US, no it's not built like a tank, but it is built like an armored vehicle .... you get it.

The point is it put out great food at the best price point available to me. Now, don't get me wrong. if I had no qualms spending an extra $500 and up I probably would have bought a Yoder 640 or a MAK 2 Star, maybe a Memphis, Blazin', something else, who knows?

Bottom line .... cost doesn't make the food better ..... Kalamazoo makes a grill that burns gas, charcoal and wood, costs $25,000. Do you think the food from that grill tastes $24,000 better than everyone's food here on the forum? I don't think so. Maintaining temperature and the cook's skills are probably two of the biggest factors in food quality. Most pellet grills have great controllers so maintaining heat is a no brainer, the rest is up to the cook to sharpen his/her skills. This is just my somewhat biased unbiased opinion. Hope it might help in some way. Good Luck!

I'll chime in because I also went through this, as did many others, but won't advise you either way, you really need to decide.

Here's the deal. If you eat food cooked on any of the pellet units you will have a hard time telling the difference in food quality, if you could even tell. So now, the rest is what do you want to spend and for what?

I was new to pellets and did all kinds of research. I really liked a lot of the other units but didn't know if pellets were for me. Once I figured out they would all produce great food the choice became easy for me. I bought a Rec-Tec, the price point was right (value for the dollar), the warranty is six years (last three with deductible) and customer service is amazing. I figured if I didn't like pellets I wasn't out too much and if I did like pellets I could upgrade to whatever I wanted 4 years or so down the road. Plus, by then, there will be better controllers, augers, etc., who knows we may be cooking with solar or nuclear power! :clap:

Now, after owning the Rec-Tec a while, if it came time to buy a new one and all things were exactly as they are today, I would do it over again. Yes, some parts are manufactured in China but the company is in the US, no it's not built like a tank, but it is built like an armored vehicle .... you get it.

The point is it put out great food at the best price point available to me. Now, don't get me wrong. if I had no qualms spending an extra $500 and up I probably would have bought a Yoder 640 or a MAK 2 Star, maybe a Memphis, Blazin', something else, who knows?

Bottom line .... cost doesn't make the food better ..... Kalamazoo makes a grill that burns gas, charcoal and wood, costs $25,000. Do you think the food from that grill tastes $24,000 better than everyone's food here on the forum? I don't think so. Maintaining temperature and the cook's skills are probably two of the biggest factors in food quality. Most pellet grills have great controllers so maintaining heat is a no brainer, the rest is up to the cook to sharpen his/her skills. This is just my somewhat biased unbiased opinion. Hope it might help in some way. Good Luck!

I agree some, but not entirely. I have zero experience on a Rec Tec, but I do have experience with FEC-Cookshack, Yoder, Traeger and GMG. I can say without hesitation that no pellet cooker matches the efficiency of the FEC120 in my experience, and the (smoke) flavor of the food that comes off my YS1500 is more flavorful than the other units. Whether that is due to the steel design or the HMS, I do not know but it is in my opinion.

Leaning more towards the yoder 640. That means the Backwooda Party might have to go but I would still have the offset for pure wood and uds for charcoal.

Does the 640 come with the top shelf rails already installed even if you don't opt for that option? Thinking I could make the top shelf cheaper than the $99 they want to charge.

That's highly debatable and I know there's plenty of people out there that would 100% disagree with you on that. I can't personally vouch, but I know there's others out there that would be quick to argue this one.

While this is good, it's in no way an advantage that any other units don't have, especially Yoder since 100% American made. But is good to hear that the RecTec holds up mostly. That being said, the thickness of the steel (and therefore thermal mass) don't even come close to a comparison. Yoder will win that battle every time. Whether the controller and auger and what not will hold up long enough to ever be able to judge the steel's thickness with regard to rot, rust, etc, remains to be seen. I doubt either unit would last long enough to see severe effects of rust and wear.
[/quote]

This is where I completely disagree. When it comes to pellet smokers, several items are crucial:

1. Temp accuracy -- is the pit probe actually maintaining the temp it's claiming?
2. Temp variation -- is the temp actually all over the place, or is it solid steady?
3. Recovery/overshoot compensation -- is the unit dropping 50F when you open it, and compensates by raising the temp by 150F instead of simply recovering?
4. How is the heat distributed throughout the unit.

Now, say what you want, but the assertion that a more costly model isn't going to make better food is just NUTS. You're thinking of it all wrong here, and only thinking about the end, not the means. You gotta COOK the food to make it good, and if you're constantly battling temp swings, inaccuracy, hot zones, bad recovery overshoots, etc, then you're gonna have a bad time, period.

When it comes to pellet smokers, increases in cost typically correlate with 2 areas:
1. The material of the smoker -- 10awg steel in the Yoder vs what on the RecTec -- 20awg?
2. The performance of the Heat Mgmt System

Beyond that, any other increases typically correlate to random bells and whistles being added on.

Bottom line, I'm not saying a RecTec won't make great food, but Yoder has a history of excellent BBQ pits, and they've been tuning their pellet series for some years now, with excellent results.

It all boils down to A) how much you wanna pay, B) if you ever plan on selling it, C) how long you want it to last. If OP can afford the Yoder 480, then by all means go for it.

i was wanting a pellet cooker for a while and like you it was a choice between rec-tec and yoder but i wasn't sure i would like pellets as opposed to wood so i scoured craigslist for a while until a traeger lil' tex showed up for $200.00. i can say that that grill in combination with lumberjack pellets won me over and i am now ready to consider something more long term like the yoder. you may not even like pellets so consider what i did and get a cheap knock around one for an experiment. you might find it is all you need.

When it comes to pellet smokers, increases in cost typically correlate with 2 areas:
1. The material of the smoker -- 10awg steel in the Yoder vs what on the RecTec -- 20awg?
2. The performance of the Heat Mgmt System

The Rectec isn't as heavy as the Yoder but it's pretty solid too -- much more so than Traeger and GMG which are the others I've seen in person.

The lid is about 10 gauge and the barrel is between 14 and 15. The firepot, heat deflector and drip pan are all stainless, 10, 12 and 14 gauge respectively. Definitely less than the Yoder but I don't know how much difference it really makes in temperature stability and longevity.

The controller is also very good in terms accuracy and stability. What it lacks are some of the bells and whistles like a meat probe, wifi connectivity etc.

Beyond that, any other increases typically correlate to random bells and whistles being added on.

Bottom line, I'm not saying a RecTec won't make great food, but Yoder has a history of excellent BBQ pits, and they've been tuning their pellet series for some years now, with excellent results.

It all boils down to A) how much you wanna pay, B) if you ever plan on selling it, C) how long you want it to last. If OP can afford the Yoder 480, then by all means go for it.

When I was looking I personally struggled with buying the Yoder 480. The 640, especially with the slide out shelf and management system has things that the Rectec didn't and that helped to justify the cost difference. I found it harder to justify the extra money for the noticeably smaller 480.

At the time, the rectec mini wasn't out but that would have made it even more difficult. The mini is smaller than the 480 (it's the same size as the Traeger TX Jr.) but it uses the same materials and controller as the larger Rectec and costs $600 delivered. While I'm fully into the "cry once" idea, that's a big difference if one was looking for something on the smaller end.

Anyway, intent isn't to be critical of Yoder -- great company and products.

I think the OP will be happy with whichever he chooses.

Think I have decided on the Yoder 640 with second shelf. Looked on Craigslist for a used one but that appears to be slim to none of happening. Anyplace sell them that take payments? Probably just have to wait a little longer to save the extra money needed over what the Rec tec would have costed.

Yeah to be clear, I don't think the RecTec is bad, I just personally think the Yoder is probably better. Hell, I don't even have personal experience with both to truly make that claim.

That being said, glad to hear OP went with the Yoder. OP, I don't think you could've found a used one on craigslist, as it's unlikely anyone would sell one unless they were totally dis-satisfied with it, which would mean you'd likely want to stay away from it anyways.

I think either way, you'll be pleased with the Yoder or RecTec. Enjoy your cooker once it arrives and is set up. And I recommend getting some grill grates for the Yoder if you do end up getting it.

Yeah to be clear, I don't think the RecTec is bad, I just personally think the Yoder is probably better. Hell, I don't even have personal experience with both to truly make that claim.

That being said, glad to hear OP went with the Yoder. OP, I don't think you could've found a used one on craigslist, as it's unlikely anyone would sell one unless they were totally dis-satisfied with it, which would mean you'd likely want to stay away from it anyways.

I think either way, you'll be pleased with the Yoder or RecTec. Enjoy your cooker once it arrives and is set up. And I recommend getting some grill grates for the Yoder if you do end up getting it.
Don't disagree with this at all, the Yoder is probably better overall, my previous point was I doubt in a blind taste test if the food is different for the cost. I did buy a Rec-Tec, if it truly lasts 6-10 years that would be great. If I were to replace it today, depending on what I had to spend, personally I would like a Blazin' Grid Iron or MAK2, price step down to a Yoder 640, then 480, then Rec-Tec. I didn't expect my Rec-Tec to last forever and at my age in 3 years or so I will probably sell mine, move up to one of the others and expect it to last the rest of my lifetime.

Back