Rec Tec Cookers

Yep - 6 and you gotta use pans or else rotate them vigorously- they will be hanging of the edges of the drip pan boundaries and the edges that are would
Cook awful quick - or burn..... I really like my 700 for convenience but I like more depth in my smoke profile... gonna try a tube helper.....

This is true.

Gotta stay within the deflector shield.

I've owned two Rec Tec grills (RT-680 and the new Bullseye). REC TEC has excellent customer service, because they have had a lot of practice. Both came shipped with issues. I had to install a new fan on the 680 and a new RTD probe on the Bullseye. Once past those issues they have been great smokers. I have owned a GMG and RTG is leaps and bounds better. Best pellet smoker for it's price point IMO.

I easily had 9 on mine. Still gave plenty of room for air flow. I probably could have got 3 more on, but 9 was good

Well, it would probably help to state the weight of said Pork Butts... I cook 8-10 pounders and you ain't getting 9 butts that size on there...

Pellet Grill

You can buy a Rec Tec with absolute confidence. You are getting a high quality grill for a good price. The only negative is that it is made in China and that their marketing and following is a little dorky and cult like. Very happy with my 590.

Pros:
Convenient/ease of use
consistency - temps are spot on and stay there
Quality - very well built grill. Nothing on this grill suggests "cheap"
Flavor - excellent. Not as good as a stick burner, but plenty good
wifi - love having this feature. and it works every time

cons:
Not great at high heat cooking but not an issue. My Primo takes that job
Made in China - not a big deal to me, honestly

The REC TEC Grill is made in China, however, the heart and soul of the grill (the computer) is made here in the USA. The powder coat is also made in the USA and the final assembly along with quality control takes place at the REC TEC Grill facility in Georgia.**
DanB
PS Best $ I've ever spent on smoker.

I need you guys to school me on pellet grills. I started with a masterbuilt 40" electric that still puts out good food but has wildly inaccurate temp control and a max temp on my unit of about 250 degrees. I have a kamado joe classic that I love to use and cook on several times a week. Neither have remote temp control. I work close to my house and go home every day for lunch. I'm thinking with a pellet grill I can take the cover off at lunch, set it up and fire it up remotely 30 minutes before I get off and have it ready to cook when I get home vs the kamado that I have to light and wait a while when I get home before I can put meat on. Is there anything I can do on the kamado joe that I couldnt do on a rectec? I still love the joe for weekends but I like to eat early and don't like waiting an hour to get up to temp when I get home and the masterbuilt will still have it's place for low and slow mass boston butt cooks. Thoughts?

*IF* the pellet grill you choose has WiFi then yes, that’s exactly what you could do.
My wife works from home sometimes. I/we can prepare something the night before. I can be at a customer a hour and a half away and start the Rec Tec from my phone and then call or text her to put dinner on. I smoked a brisket last Sunday on the Rec Tec. I prepared the smoker Saturday afternoon (cleaned the grates, vacuumed the chamber, topped off the hopper and plugged it in) I put the brisket or at midnight. I started the smoker from my recliner. When it was up to temp I went outside and put on the meat and went to bed.

I really like my Primo kamado but it is not even remotely as easy to use as pellet smoker/grill. That said. They are very different as well. The Rec Tec is a great pellet smoker but if I need a grill I use the primo.

I need you guys to school me on pellet grills. I started with a masterbuilt 40" electric that still puts out good food but has wildly inaccurate temp control and a max temp on my unit of about 250 degrees. I have a kamado joe classic that I love to use and cook on several times a week. Neither have remote temp control. I work close to my house and go home every day for lunch. I'm thinking with a pellet grill I can take the cover off at lunch, set it up and fire it up remotely 30 minutes before I get off and have it ready to cook when I get home vs the kamado that I have to light and wait a while when I get home before I can put meat on. Is there anything I can do on the kamado joe that I couldnt do on a rectec? I still love the joe for weekends but I like to eat early and don't like waiting an hour to get up to temp when I get home and the masterbuilt will still have it's place for low and slow mass boston butt cooks. Thoughts?

That is what I do. On Friday nights I stop by the grocery store to pick up a couple steaks or a couple filets of salmon. I start the Rec Tec while I am at the store to make sure it is up to temp when I get home. It is very handy.

That said, my Primo is still way better at high heat cooks. Sears better and has more wood smoke flavor. Pellet grills at high heat do not get any smoke flavor. You will only get flavor from the smoke that burning rendering fat will give you. But, the convenience of the pellet grill wins out in many high heat cooks for me. For fish, I only use the rec tec these days. I am using the Primo far less than I thought I would to be honest. But I have no plans on getting rid of it.

The Rec Tec can do everything your Kamado Joe can do. But some things, not as well. My advice is to hang on to the KJ. The extra space will come in handy as will the ability to be able to cook at different temps at the same time. There will be times when you just want the flavor of charcoal. For me it is hot and fast chicken wings. Pellet grills just don't measure up on this one but they are still pretty good.

The REC TEC Grill is made in China, however, the heart and soul of the grill (the computer) is made here in the USA. The powder coat is also made in the USA and the final assembly along with quality control takes place at the REC TEC Grill facility in Georgia.**
DanB
PS Best $ I've ever spent on smoker.

not saying I am correct but I have read that is not the case any more. What I understand is everything is made in china. If anything, it is inspected and boxed in Georgia. That is what I have read at least and who knows what you can really believe these days. Either way, it doesn't matter to me. Grill works great and I am happy with it.

Manufacture and boxing is in China. Assembly and QC is in America...after purchase and on the user's patio. That said, most other brands are no different.

Yep - 6 and you gotta use pans or else rotate them vigorously- they will be hanging of the edges of the drip pan boundaries and the edges that are would
Cook awful quick - or burn..... I really like my 700 for convenience but I like more depth in my smoke profile... gonna try a tube helper.....

So if I smoked 6 racks of ribs on the 700 (they say it has that capacity) the ends would all be overcooked if not burned?

Yeah, I did 5 racks, 3 St. Louis and 2 Baby Backs, usable grill space was pretty much used up - here’s a pic... they were awesome though �� I cut them up like that to try out the new rubs I had bought.

Attachments

• E2F3A5BC-4298-4F2C-8964-D891183C75F1.jpg
    E2F3A5BC-4298-4F2C-8964-D891183C75F1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Yeah, I did 5 racks, 3 St. Louis and 2 Baby Backs, usable grill space was pretty much used up - here’s a pic... they were awesome though �� I cut them up like that to try out the new rubs I had bought.

So how big is the actual usable space then and have you tried the second shelf? If so, how does it work? Is there a big heat difference that requires meat juggling during long cooks?

Also, is this standard on pellet grills or somewhat unique to Rec Tec?

Thanks for answering my questions!

My 680 was a pile of junk. Replaced every part on it because it would barely break 325°. Rusted really fast and after a few years the grate supports were in really bad shape. I’m sure the 700 would be better though.

Back