Read this, it needs to sink in.

It's been said before and I'd like to add my support. I've been a member of at least five other forums over the years. This is the only one I have remained an active member of. And it's due to Phil's vison, the sense of camaraderie amongst fellow BBQr's willing to help one another Q better in this virtual backyard sitting around a smoker.

The mods here have always done a wonderful job and I applaud Phil and the team. I am proud to be a member here. Thanks for all your hard work!

Last edited:
Wow looks me and Scott missed what happened!! I always have appreciated the mods, its a thankless job!

Jorge has a great point of what this forum is now versus what it was at its core. I like them both but miss the "old" days.

As for now SMOKE ON!!!!

. I know post counts mean nothing but I would rather be non combative and shut up and learn "FIRST" then add input later. Thanks to the MODS for there justice in the matter at hand. :thumb:

This is the only forum I belong to. I learn every time I log on. I'm pretty new at the BBQ art so soak up a lot of great info. I guess I don't pick up on negativity.
Just want to express my apprecation to the Brethren & especially to the moderators for keeping this as my go to place.

Nothing really new to say here - just thanks to the Brethren and all involved in running this site for making this a special place. I am amused, amazed & inspired here on a daily basis & I know facilitating such a thing doesn't come easy. The hard work of the mod team shows every day and I appreciate it.

First and foremost, despite any of the things that have gone on recently, this forum is truly an awesome place with great people!
Second, Phil and the moderators do a lot of work that often goes unappreciated. They catch flack for doing the dirty side of their jobs and are always being poked fun at. I mean, think about it, what is a newer member supposed to think of the authority figures on the forum when members openly sport their mod rap sheet in their signature? Now there are many older members that know this is just meant in a show of light hearted fun but, that's the older members.
With that being said, I'm probably what some would refer to as a new member (less than 1year tenure) and, when everyone starts to talk about "the old days" or "in the beginning", I have some idea what they are talking about but, truthfully, I wasn't there. You can go back and read all the stuff on the founding of the brethren but, you still may not truthfully understand the meaning of it all. It would be nice to think that everyone who signs up to become a member goes through and actually reads all of this stuff but, let's be realistic, that is not the case. Now, aside from issuing a test to all new members to check and see if they actually read through everything, what can be done? When it comes down to it, I think it falls more on the members than it does on Phil and the mod team. That age old rule of leading by example. We don't have to go around telling people what and what not to do do but, chances are if one sees another doing something, they are going to do it and most likely push it even farther. Some of the older members are excellent at knowing just how far they can push something without coming under direct fire from the mods but, a newer member sees it and pushes it even farther going over the edge. Remember, give a person an inch and they'll try to run a mile. The way it looks, if we want to make this place the best place it can be, or was, depending on how you look at it, is going to be by the examples we set with one another and the mod team. It's that whole common sense and courtesy thing. Which now-a-days seems less and less common in general and not just on here. Those things along with just stopping to take a breath before typing will make a world of difference. Remember, we don't need to respond to every statement that is made on here, sometimes it's just best to sigh, shake your head, and move on.
Don't know if any of these thoughts matter to the rest but, just how I've been viewing it lately.

First and foremost, despite any of the things that have gone on recently, this forum is truly an awesome place with great people!
Second, Phil and the moderators do a lot of work that often goes unappreciated. They catch flack for doing the dirty side of their jobs and are always being poked fun at. I mean, think about it, what is a newer member supposed to think of the authority figures on the forum when members openly sport their mod rap sheet in their signature? Now there are many older members that know this is just meant in a show of light hearted fun but, that's the older members.
With that being said, I'm probably what some would refer to as a new member (less than 1year tenure) and, when everyone starts to talk about "the old days" or "in the beginning", I have some idea what they are talking about but, truthfully, I wasn't there. You can go back and read all the stuff on the founding of the brethren but, you still may not truthfully understand the meaning of it all. It would be nice to think that everyone who signs up to become a member goes through and actually reads all of this stuff but, let's be realistic, that is not the case. Now, aside from issuing a test to all new members to check and see if they actually read through everything, what can be done? When it comes down to it, I think it falls more on the members than it does on Phil and the mod team. That age old rule of leading by example. We don't have to go around telling people what and what not to do do but, chances are if one sees another doing something, they are going to do it and most likely push it even farther. Some of the older members are excellent at knowing just how far they can push something without coming under direct fire from the mods but, a newer member sees it and pushes it even farther going over the edge. Remember, give a person an inch and they'll try to run a mile. The way it looks, if we want to make this place the best place it can be, or was, depending on how you look at it, is going to be by the examples we set with one another and the mod team. It's that whole common sense and courtesy thing. Which now-a-days seems less and less common in general and not just on here. Those things along with just stopping to take a breath before typing will make a world of difference. Remember, we don't need to respond to every statement that is made on here, sometimes it's just best to sigh, shake your head, and move on.
Don't know if any of these thoughts matter to the rest but, just how I've been viewing it lately.

WOW..... YOU NAILED IT!!!!! That was beautiful! and dead on!!

It kinda goes back to the old saying if you don't have anything nice to say keep that s@#t to yourself!..I didn't reply to that crazy turkey thread..it seemed like my 13 year old daughters arguing back and forth..I wanted to scream GROW UP!..anyway this is hands farking down the best and most informative bbq site on the planet!..thanks again for all of the endless hours you mods put in!!!!

Dang, All this crap going on. Look what I missed going away for Thanksgiving. Being a former site admin I know things like this can and will happen. There are times when you just have to lay the law down. It is sad to see some adults revert back to children over nothing of consequence. This has been a wonderful place since I have joined. I consider this my BBQ Brethren home and hope we can all just get along. Phil keep up the great site and don't let a few problem users get under your skin.
Ed

Thank you, Phil!

The "BBQ Brethren light" burns year round 24/7 welcoming all to the search of better BBQ. It is not just a forum of faceless posts... but a source of enlightenment beginning the understanding of thin blue smoke.

To see new members ask, learn, and to grow skillz producing mad BBQ is a sign of beauty.

The bewilderments begin to reach beyound the tangibles when members band together delivering a new BBQ pit thru a Brethren relay route, a fund drive, a community cook from hundreds of miles away, to witness a public BBQ Brethren Battle, or an unofficial BBQ bash gathering.

A great reacharound for Phil, an "Atta boy" and a "Thanx a bunch" to all the Mods in the underground bunkers who are keeping the Spirit of the Brethren safe!

Dang, y'all... I miss all the fun... It's like getting home from the stadium after a game and then seeing on the news that there was a riot there.

I still feel pretty new too (compared to the "old timers") and would firstly like to express my appreciation to all you guys who make this possible.

For me, it's almost like finding a really good church. It's a place where people share a true passion about something that can be both uniting and divisive. But my experiences have all been very positive. The few times I have seen people get out of line, they always seem to come back and bring it down a few notches. Now, that may be because of the mods or it may be because they ARE adults. Not sure.

But as a fairly new member, I would hope that if I were do step out of line, I'd get a nudge from someone letting me know it.

I haven't been here all that long, (Less than a year actually!) And I am more of a lurker soaking up information when it pertains to me. Occasionally I will post if I dont understand something or have something relevant to say to said topic. Some things about the Brethren that I have noticed over my travels for information on this site is the following...

1) For the most part the Brethren are a really close knit, and tight family.... Something that when I do finally compete, or am out visiting at a competition I know that all Brethren would be welcome to sit a spell, have a refreshing drink, and get to know MY family. All the mushy stuff aside I would be PROUD to fly "The PIG"

2) 99.99% of the time The Brethren police themselves....In 10 months I think I have seen the Mods have an All Call message to remind us that someone, somewhere, made a mistake....That says alot for the people on here and the MOD team!!!!

3) And this may be repeating but if any new members don't understand what I am explaining, go back to the earliest posts you can find and start reading, it doesn't take long to realize what a warm, friendly, and helpful place this is. As Larry (BBQ Grail) mentioned earlier, I would be more than happy to open my home up to any brethren who needed a place to stay...Well, with the wifes permission of course!! And if anyone needs proof positive of how close the Brethren are, read RedHots post about deguerre's scare earlier this week, the Brethren came out of the woodwork to wish him well with thoughts and prayers.....I never saw that on any other boards I have been on!

Thank you to everyone on this board for never making me feel like I was asking a stupid question, or making me feel unwelcome.
I wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season, and wish you all well in your cooking, competitions, and future endevours!

This IS the best place on the net to perfect the art of "Q"

Have not been around for a few weeks. All I can say is that Phil and the Mods do a check of a job here. This site is awesome and is a pleasure to come too. The members are the best. I think that we all need to help the Mods keep it that way

And if anyone needs proof positive of how close the Brethren are, read RedHots post about deguerre's scare earlier this week, the Brethren came out of the woodwork to wish him well with thoughts and prayers.....I never saw that on any other boards I have been on!

And can you imagine what would have happened if we actually liked him. :evil:

(Sorry Phil: just needed some levity for a moment. Now back to your regularly scheduled seriousness)

Dang go hunting for 7 days and I get back and it looks like all Hell-O went on! not enough snow on the ground to claim cabin fever get out and stretch a bit relax if a post is off and the mod claims it too be so, let it be and move on, life’s is too short to have your boxers/panties in a knot
Keep the peace brothers
RR

Well, instead of just hitting the Thanks button, again, let me add my appreciation of the Moderators and Phil here as well. I am always stunned at the load of information and requests that get fired at Phil while we all go on adding to the mass of good information at this site.

As a former moderator tester, I learned fast that this is not a good route, I really don't understand the last few people that have challenged the mods and what they hoped to do. I certainly appreciate the culture and traditions of this site.

While I am also fairly new here, I would like to say that I have seen the nature of the elder members and the culture around here, it is not gone. Sure, BBQ Grail get's captious at times, but, I have received nothing but friendship from many of the older members, I have seen a tremendous amount of outreach and support from them as well. This has been the best forum I have been involved.

Mods... you guys do a great job!!

They get fired up because they actually give a fark! The brethren means a lot to them as it does to some of us, and should to all of us. As its been said before, take note of the rules and plain common sense, conduct yourself accordingly & lets not fark up something great by being ignorant. The Brethren is here to pass on knowledge and to learn from the great set of people that call the Brethren home (in a weird kinda way). So I raise my glass to a peaceful holiday season. Bless.

Cheers Everyone....

Oh yeah.. what is this cabin fever you speak of??? :heh:

Back