RD and stolen credit card numbers

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest that you cancell your account, but merely request a new card be issued.

As far as the merchants not caring - they more than likely don't know that their systems are compromised. I am just wondering how the losses in a "customer losing/having their physical card stolen" vs. "merchant systems compromised" stack up these days?

I've had my CC hacked, and someone tried to buy a lap top on my account.. I'm a cash man now.. it's a pain in the a$$ to get cash out all the time, but it's piece of mind, and I find I spend less money now.

I think everyone who did business during this time should at least call your card company and tell them that your info has been hacked. When I called my card company a month ago I told them that it seemed to the case but had not heard of many who were having problems. Now it is clear that our info is out there and it is being used. My card company was very helpful in that tagged my card to watch and they caught the charges before I was aware of it. They have now changed my number and they also notified the credit score people for me as to the explanation of closing on card number and replacing it with another. Again, I am glad that I had the heads up from the Breathen as it saved me freaking out a little. keith

Asked at Depot

I went to DEPOT yesterday and said to the girl at the register..."So, credit card numbers were stolen?"

Cashier response, "Huh - I don't have NO idea what you're talkin' about?"

About, what I expected...

About a week before fisrt reading about the problems at RD, Discover sent us new cards saying a merchant had reported problems to them. I'd say that was procactive of Discover. It was still another week before getting the letter from RD. Didn't have to do anything about it by that point.

Benny

Same Story as Funtime. I had a personal business card and a card from my fishing club that I hold compromised. Both were replaced immediately and a week before the RD latter came.

Well this explains why I got a brand new discover card out of the blue - same story as Funtimebbq and BasicPatrick - I couldn't figure out why (don't have a membership to Rd except for KCBS one...so no letter for me...) - it's the only card I use for my q habit - discover had some letter in there about possible compromise etc etc...now I know..thanks!

Guess I got lucky, as Wells Fargo sent me a new card about the same time I got the letter from RD. Took me awhile to put 2 and 2 together.

Mine is through our church and I just got my new card and the church sent me the RD letter right before.....

When you say new card it must be a new number or they can still use the old one. I got a new card also same number new expiration date. They were still able to use the old card. keith

When you say new card it must be a new number or they can still use the old one. I got a new card also same number new expiration date. They were still able to use the old card. keith

New Card different number....

Went in today and talked to the manager about having our info stolen. They said they were working on it and she gave us a $25 off coupon for our troubles. Hopefully they'll get it straightened out or they're going to lose business.

Ours were new cards with the same number. Discover advised us, they made changes in the magnetic strip to distinguish the new cards from the old ones.
Besides the clerk at RD asking to see my ID, they are now entering the zip code (their's, not mine). Those were two things they did not do before.

Benny

Ours were new cards with the same number. Discover advised us, they made changes in the magnetic strip to distinguish the new cards from the old ones.

Probably either the Service Code or Discretionary Verification Data. PCI prohibits storing the Service Code unencrypted, but it wouldn't help much anyway. The CVV uniquely identifies that card among others with the same number, and is probably what was changed. That won't help with keyed and card not present (MOTOEC) transactions, but odds are the CVV2 printed on the back was changed too, and that will be requested for those transactions. It sounds great, but I dunno if I would trust it. All it takes is one merchant to force a transaction through and you not paying attention to your bill, and you get stung again...just my thoughts.

dmp

I got hit for 883.45 in toronto canada at wal mart for a tv and they went to a liquor store after that and they tried to get me for another 886 but the TD fraud department shut the card down and denied the transaction. I went to RD and spoke with the store manager and he told me he would do anything to make the situation right. I got my money back from the bank.

i dont quite understand that part.. :confused: all of my credit cards, in the signature box, I have printed in marker 'REQUEST PHOTO ID'. I always figured its easier to duplicate my signature than my ugly face. i show it to them from my wallet and dont turn it over to them. Why does that make it easier for identity theft?

They can use a cell phone or hidden camera to photograph your license, giving them a lot of your personal data along with your credit card. Showing an ID increases your risk.

When you write SEE ID or something like it, merchants are supposed to request an ID and then ask you to sign the card, and refuse the transaction if you don't. Few do that, but that is what the merchant agreements say. For the short version, look here:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/sign-or-write-see-ID-1282.php

I just had about 2k charged to a card in transactions I did not make. I am not sure if I used this card at RD or not, but I do know the processor said the card was physically in the store. Since I have the card in my possession, it sounds like they actually made a fake card, or the merchants didn't look too closely.

Sadly - we are now one of those who had their card information used. Apparently to the tune of $450 in a Walmart somewhere in Texas. Same as Chris - the people in Texas actually had a real card with my number on it. When I explained to the guy in Chase Fraud about the RD situation he said that would have been how they made the new card. :mad2:

New card being sent - but because it wasn't charged until about 5pm EST yesterday, I won't have a new card until next week... Which sucks because we had some items we needed to buy over the weekend and wanted to get the miles/points through the card because they were some larger ticket items... I hope they caught the people who did this. I'm really pissed off about it. :boxing:

Back