Rack of lamb and carrots in the Mother of all Sous Vide!

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
Well I think I exaggerated a little in the title. I technically don't even have a sous vide machine. But, I am resourceful. We had friends over last night who used to own a high end restaurant a dinner party were the four of us cooked multiple coarses. For my coarse I wanted to do a rack of lamb and carrots. I wanted to try sous vide on each so I had an excuse to be creative. Here is the menu and then the details on my improvised sous vide.
1 Three cheeses and prosciutto, Spanish spice ham, and Italian salami.
2 Salad with artichoke hearts, cranberries, and Gorgonzola cheese.
3 Homemade linguine with a butter sauce with garlic and Parmigian cheese.
4 Rack of Lamb with carrots
5 Homemade vanilla ice cream with real vanilla beans.

So, my part.
I found a recipe for sous vide carrots that sounded great. 1 lb carrots cut medium to small, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 tablespoons butter, and a splash of bourbon. Set the water for 183 and go for an hour or more until tender. Empty all in a pan and cook down until the carrots are glazed. (from serious eats). But, I don't have a immersion heater. So, grab the crock pot and my home brewing equipment. I got a temperature controller that I had made and set it to 183 and plugged the crock pot into it. It maintained temp perfectly. My carrots were a little big so it took 2 hours.

There were two lamb racks. Seasoning was simple, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. I held it at 131 degrees for 4 hours and then seared it on a cast iron pan.

The sous vide is actually my mash tun for my home brewery. This is where I hold grain and water at a certain temp for an hour so that the starches in the grain convert to sugars for the yeast to eat to turn into alcohol.

It is a 15.5 gallon beer keg with the top cut out and a drain in the bottom.

Water is pulled out by a pump and pushed through a 2000 watt heat exchanger, RIMS tube, and back into the vessel.

It is controlled by a PID controller that turns on the heating element fractionally to keep the temp steady.

It will hold a temp steady by plus/minus .1 degree. All of this was built by me.

After this I am able to actually claim that all the money that I sunk into my brewery is multiple purpose. :-D

I think that I need to use this more often.

Back