Quick notes Feb 6 meeting on the KCBS site

Thanks for your reply, Merl. Could you help us also understand the process that lead to the revote - this is in reference to the vote to reject the application Ron Cates submitted several days late. That would help fill in some blanks. Again, thanks to all the BoD members who have taken the time to reply to concerns!

I'd like to know who voted for AZ BBQ to be not sanctioned and then voted in favor of Lula geing sanctioned. That should interest more folks than a flawed system to appoint a vacancy on the Board and who made a motion and who didn't.

I guess I'd get it in my Bullsheet, but I never get it. Maybe our Education committee can focus on that? As I'd love to be educated on what really happens at the Board by the minutes...

I'd like to know who voted for AZ BBQ to be not sanctioned and then voted in favor of Lula geing sanctioned. That should interest more folks than a flawed system to appoint a vacancy on the Board and who made a motion and who didn't.

I guess I'd get it in my Bullsheet, but I never get it. Maybe our Education committee can focus on that? As I'd love to be educated on what really happens at the Board by the minutes...
It would be nice if the KCBS posted the minutes online. they were approved at the Feb meeting for Jan so why not post them. No need to wait for the Bullsheet.

Chandler AZ 9-3 to deny. I to would like to know who voted differently. I's probably a safe assumption that the 6 who voted deny for Lula voted the same on Chandler.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Scottie, I am really starting to agree with you. I've had to do something this morning that makes all this bullchit seem pretty insignificant. Let 'em destroy it with the divisiveness. I tried. I'll compete somewhere until there's nowhere else to go.

Scottie, I am really starting to agree with you. I've had to do something this morning that makes all this bullchit seem pretty insignificant. Let 'em destroy it with the divisiveness. I tried. I'll compete somewhere until there's nowhere else to go.

I am not sure we have any other options Jeff. there is a political struggle that they are playing with OUR Society. It's not theirs to destroy, it's ours as dues paying members. Some, if not all need to understand that. These factions need to end. We need to do what is best for KCBS. Not individual "A', that just so happens to be a Director of KCBS.

I will still say that if those Disclosure Statements were made public, we wouldn't be having nearly half the problems that we see...

Hummm Whats to say the 5th person should be on the BoD?
The first looser does not make you a natural to be on the BoD
It is silly to set it up and get stuck with someone who did not
have the talents and abilities

Using that logic, Thom, who's to say those who WON are naturals or have the talents and abilities? Yep, I said it.

Using that logic, Thom, who's to say those who WON are naturals or have the talents and abilities? Yep, I said it.
Bingo - most not for profit organizations with a non paid BOD have people that maybe lack some of the qualities needed to be successful. that's why it's a focus in the questions for the nominees. Then it's up to the members to vote for the most qualified and not their friends.

lWhile we're at it most organizations eave all the details to the paid staff and the BOD meets 4 or 6 times a year to set policy. No way they get involved in 90% of the stuff we see in normal minutes. Just read the dec minutes and there's so little that hte BOD should actually be voting on. Contests being sanctioned should be done by an admin. Sorry I kind of hikacked your point.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Just read the dec minutes and there's so little that hte BOD should actually be voting on. Contests being sanctioned should be done by an admin. Sorry I kind of hikacked your point.

I'd argue an admin, but believe it should be someone else.

For the KCBS to expand they need to reorganize the structure of the organization. They should capitalize on some of the regional BBQ Associations and let them handle local issues - sanctioning, issues with the reps / contests in the area, etc. Then let each local association vote for 1 member to the board and allow 2-3 board seats be globally elected. Ideally it would be something like this:

KCBS Board - 11 Spots, 3 elected nationally

Regional boards based upon size

MO/KAN - 2 spots to Board due to size / concentration of membership
Upper Midwest (Iowa, MN, WI, IL, MI, NE)
Southeast
Northeast
Southwest
Pacific Northwest
(Allow for a floating member between Upper Midwest - PNW or another region)

This would allow regions to focus upon issues that impact them locally, then send an elected representative(s) to focus on national issues.

This would allow the KCBS BoD to focus on what matters - National / Internationally growth and Strategic Development, Major Conduct Issues, Marketing, and Global Rule issues. Without an evolution in the fundamental structure of the business, the continued focus on personal interests and back door deals will continue. The BoD really needs to get to focusing on fundamental strategic developments.

Well we do vote for a reason
and the voters say they are qualified
But it does not seem to matter
jeez
I am getting sick of this KCBS crap
It never ends....
Right or wrong the sport is ripe for a
new organization

Bingo - most not for profit organizations with a non paid BOD have people that maybe lack some of the qualities needed to be successful. that's why it's a focus in the questions for the nominees. Then it's up to the members to vote for the most qualified and not their friends.

lWhile we're at it most organizations eave all the details to the paid staff and the BOD meets 4 or 6 times a year to set policy. No way they get involved in 90% of the stuff we see in normal minutes. Just read the dec minutes and there's so little that hte BOD should actually be voting on. Contests being sanctioned should be done by an admin. Sorry I kind of hikacked your point.

Ford, I've disagreed with a lot of what you've written on the latest KCBS kerfuffle, but I think you are 100% right here. There was a time when KCBS was small enough that it needed a Board active in the day-to-day operations. Not anymore. The Board needs to step back and let the paid staff do its job.

Basically, the Board should be drafting policy, and staff should be implementing it. Your point on sanctioning is dead on -- the Board has set up the sanctioning rules, now let staff handle the sanctioning requests.

KCBS brags about how much it has grown, but it still operates with a small group mentality.

Last edited:
Back