THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm not precious about sharpening, I'll use a riverstone (and have for months out of necessity in the outback once) bottles, leather belts, steel rods.
Once you practice the technique a little, it is a skill for life.

You can also use the bottom of a coffee cup or even the bottom of a plate/saucer if they are not covered with glaze. I have used the bottom of a coffee cup to keep knives sharp when I did not have a stone or other methods with me. I sharpened my sister's kitchen knives with a coffee cup once, and she said they were sharper than they were when she bought them. Just use the exposed pottery ring like you would with a good stone and it will work great if the blade does not need re profiling. In a pinch you can also use the top of the window on your car to touch up a blade. Think outside the box, as people have kept their knives sharp well before there was a Wicked Edge system or even a set of Spyderco croc sticks.

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

Smokin30-06, yes, I would toss that sharpener or only use it on cheap utility knives. I would not use it on my kitchen knives.

Back