Questions for KCBS BOD Candidates

I actually was not originally one of the MMA/Sam's event organizers, I filled in for Arlie who was sick at the time and could not attend this event as the organizer... I was filling in for him....... as far as I know, the attorneys determined that this was not a conflict, Sam's only wanted people (Board Members) who had the best interest of KCBS and Sam's Club at heart, there was also a requirement that the Organizers had the experience of 10 contests (successful) or more under their belt, that really limits the field....

Gene, I didn't know you were just filling in. Did you get the money too? I hear the part about the lawyer determining there was nothing wrong. I just find it hard to believe that when you vote on a companys contract and that company comes back and gives you a paid position that it is not a conflict of intrest. And I think there were some on the board that had reservations about it as well. I think that is the main reason the job of selecting was given to MMA.

The old rule of thumb about KCBS is very true: the farther you are from KCMO, the less they care about you. Well friends, we are along way from KCMO......

I think members outside of Kansas City WANT to believe that... and at one time, it was probably true. I don't think it has been for a few years now.

Gene, I didn't know you were just filling in. Did you get the money too? I hear the part about the lawyer determining there was nothing wrong. I just find it hard to believe that when you vote on a companys contract and that company comes back and gives you a paid position that it is not a conflict of intrest. And I think there were some on the board that had reservations about it as well. I think that is the main reason the job of selecting was given to MMA.

The simple fact that the attorneys even needed to be consulted should have been a very obvious sign that it shouldn't be pursued. Legality is one thing...integrity is another. The whole thing stinks and I'm really looking forward to seeing some new blood on the BoD in 2012.

I'm Starting a new thread because I don't particularly like the title of the most active thread on this subject.

I have a different approach to regional representation. I don't think assigning Board seats to specific regions is necessarily the best way to achieve good representation for all of our members. I look at it like this, the Jack has the most diverse representation of bbq teams but doesn't actually have all the best teams in the country (that's not a knock on the Jack or the people that have been invited it's just a fact). I don't want to just diversify the BOD I want it to have the best people willing and able to serve.

My idea for regional representation is for KCBS to build better relationships with organizations like NEBS, CBBQA, MABBQA, IABBQ and the list goes on. All of these organizations help organize KCBS contests, host KCBS judging classes and teach bbq classes to competitors and the general public. Perhaps some type of committee with members from each of these organizations that has a chance to submit a report at every KCBS BOD meeting. The members of the committee could be voted in be each organization however they see fit. That committee would elect it's own chairmen who would be responsible for presenting the committees report and recommendations each month at the KCBS BOD meeting.

Interesting idea
How would that work on a practical level?
What types of committee work would be done locally?

Here in California there was a difficult time last year over
KCBS not sanctioning a second contest in the same weekend
PNWBBQA ended up sanctioning the second one
Both ended up being very successful
(This was the Vegas weekend and why Smoke on the Water didn't see a huge team count)

Maybe a committee would have been able to communicate
that we can do two in one weekend now

There are some regional or state BBQ organizations that follow under more than one sanctioning body. Here is Louisiana, KCBS contests are in the strong minority. Why would I want to send the KCBS board a report on anything? If you want the KCBS-dominated local or regional groups to have some kind of representation within the structure of KCBS that is fine. In fact, that is a good idea all by itself. However, what about places where KCBS and its contests are in the minority? I think regional board spots make sense in that case. The old rule of thumb about KCBS is very true: the farther you are from KCMO, the less they care about you. Well friends, we are along way from KCMO......

Being from Texas, and running for the board, I understand your point. I started competition cooking in IBCA. I think there are some similarities, and advantages that each offer.

The simple fact in Texas and Louisiana is that price point is a barrier for KCBS. Cooking IBCA, LSBS, or TGCBCA offers a "value". Entry fee is lower, you cook three meats instead of four, etc... This past year, I cooked with some well know KCBS cooks in Irving and we had more fun than I'd had in years and one thing I heard was that it was a lot like KCBS used to be. That didn't mean better or worse, but different.

At the end of the day, in terms of competition bbq, KCBS is a sanctioning organization that provides a service. It takes an organizer to make a contest happen. If organizers from a particular area don't approach KCBS for sanctioning, there is no growth in that region. If the teams and judges will support a contest the opportunity for growth is there. It's all about demand, and from what I'm told from friends in AR, LA, and TX that level of interest is growing. I think that is good for everyone. Including sanctioning bodies in Texas. Some of the best cooks I know, cook in multiple organizations and I think it contributes to making them better and that is good for everyone.

I don't think it's a matter of KCBS not caring, I think it's a matter of KCBS not having many opportunities to show the love.:becky:

Last edited:
Interesting idea
How would that work on a practical level?
What types of committee work would be done locally?

Here in California there was a difficult time last year over
KCBS not sanctioning a second contest in the same weekend
PNWBBQA ended up sanctioning the second one
Both ended up being very successful
(This was the Vegas weekend and why Smoke on the Water didn't see a huge team count)

Maybe a committee would have been able to communicate
that we can do two in one weekend now

Honestly I don't have the details worked out but I think it's a workable solution. KCBS also needs to be careful not to go to One individual in an area, that leads to cronyism and distrust in my opinion. It needs to be a group of people who can build a consensus.

Honestly I don't have the details worked out but I think it's a workable solution. KCBS also needs to be careful not to go to One individual in an area, that leads to cronyism and distrust in my opinion. It needs to be a group of people who can build a consensus.

Yes! We need to open up a dialog with each of the other groups. A dialog where we (the KCBS) are willing to listen to what the rest of the BBQ world wants and what they have to say. Just because they aren't from downtown Kansas City doesn't mean that they don't have some good ideas or valid complaints.

I want to hear what ideas they have. I might not agree with some, most or all of them - but I do want to hear them!

First off, MMA has a multi year contract, they were already in as they were bringing in good money for KCBS and nobody wanting to end something that was working, 2. the requirement for the 10 contests was not unreasonable, they wanted someone who could walk into any situation and be able to fix it, a newer organizer may or may not have delt with too many situations and could probably fix almost anything near home, it is when you are freestyling in an ara where you cannot call your friends to help you out.

Gene, you may have filled in because Arlie was sick but it's funny that it was another board member who "got the job". By the way, which Sam's event was it?

I think the requirement of ten "successful" contests is a bit much anyway. I have no doubt there are organizers with five or more years experience that could have done a heck of a job.

My apologies on the information I was given. Was told it was Mike Budai who was up for re-election.
Jeff, the contest that I worked for Arlie was in Austin Texas, a shortage of teams, a shortage of judges,it all worked out well though, even 6 inches of rain in 3 hours the day before..

Regional Representation

I'm a PNWBA Board member up for relection and also a dues paying KCBS member.
When I got interested in BBQ in 2006, Jim Minion was a KCBS BOD member Western BBQ Assn. President, so the talk of Regional representation has caught my attention.

2011 saw more local KCBS events in PNWBA Land than the last few years combined and I for one would like to see more. Speaking for myself I could care less if the event I'm cooking is KCBS or PNWBA as long as there is an open line of communication, and that seems to be the problem with KCBS sanctioned events in the Northwest. Organizers think they are getting a "World Class BBQ event with KCBS when all they are really getting is some CBJ's and the scoring system. They don't do a good job of getting the word out to cooks and judges. The Reps that are in charge are some of the BEST, but its not their job to promote the events and they seem to bear the burdens.
Most CBJ's around here are both KCBS & PNWBA trained but it seems very few if any pay attention to the Bullsheet or Calendar and instead use the PNWBA Forums for their info.

...so on that note, I would like to encourage anyone running for a KCBS position to stop in on the PNWBA Forum, introduce yourself and tap into an organization with over 800 members and has been around since 1991 and still growing.

History of the PNWBA

The Pacific Northwest Barbecue Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion and enjoyment of barbecue in the Northwest.The PNWBA is committed to educating the public in the furtherance and development of authentic barbecue knowledge through cooking classes, judging classes, and competition barbecue cooking events. Our organization is managed by a Board of Directors who are made up completely with volunteers. It was formed in 1991 by a group of Northwestern barbecuers. Over the years it has grown from 20 members to over 800 internationally. The PNWBA publishes a news letter called Drippings from the Pit. This publication reaches it's 800 plus members informing them about the world of BBQ in our region. Since it's beginnings the PNWBA has been putting on BBQ contests from as far north as Whistler, British Columbia and south to Oregon and east to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Included among these events are many state and provincial championships. The winners/grand champions of these BBQ contests are qualified to be invited to cook at national and world championship events. Among these are the American Royal, the Jack Daniels World Invitational Championship Barbecue Contest, the Great American and several others. At these contests our cooks have gone head to head and grill to grill with the world best cooks and brought home the gold. The ranks of the PNWBA include the finest cooks in the world bar none. These events have been widely attended by the public in the upwards of 20,000 people. Also it has raised money for charitable events and good causes all around the Northwest.
Each year the Association hosts BBQ cooking and competition judging classes to educate the public and pass on the culinary art of barbecue cooking. Some of the teachers of these classes include BBQ Guru's Smoky Hale, Paul Kirk the Kansas City Baron of BBQ, Ray Lampe AKA Dr. BBQ, Myron Mixon of Jack's old South fame, Tony Stone and Merle Ellis, including our very own All Star Pitmasters. Our All Star Pitmasters class covers the cooking of chicken, rib, beef brisket and pork butt as well as BBQ theory. Graduates of our Pitmaster's classes have gone on to be national and world champs or just darn good backyard BBQ chefs.
As the PNWBA has evolved and grown so has the world of competition BBQ. It is now seen on national TV, in news papers, magazines and many cook books. It is championed by BBQ evangelists like Rick Browne and Steve Raichlen. Contests are growing into huge multimedia events with the prize money up to $35,000. The Pacific Northwest Barbecue Association is also rising to the challenge by putting on bigger and better public friendly events with the focus being on the cooks (the back bone of the association). The future is now, so let's cook!!!

I'm also a CBBQA Member and forum lurker!

First off, MMA has a multi year contract, they were already in as they were bringing in good money for KCBS and nobody wanting to end something that was working, 2. the requirement for the 10 contests was not unreasonable, they wanted someone who could walk into any situation and be able to fix it, a newer organizer may or may not have Dealt with too many situations and could probably fix almost anything near home, it is when you are freestyling in an are where you cannot call your friends to help you out.

Gene, it is very clear that MMA has done a tremendous amount of good work for the KCBS and has taken us to a new level and is well worth what we are paying them. The sams club insure is over but the perception of wrong doing is still there and will be there. There were other people that could have done the job. A multi year contract does not negate the conflict of interest.

I do however think that we are not protected as well as we should be with MMA when it comes to non compete. MMA has the ability to and is currently from what I understand participating in ventures that are very similar to what we are doing with the road show and with some of the same sponsors. Is that true?

I know that you have heard my rants at the board meetings before and I am sure some of you think I am a trouble maker about different things and I am simply trying to get some things out in the open with this. It is not a personal attack on you. I have told Candy before I will hold your (the board) feet to the fire on occasion with things and I will tell you what I think and what my opinion is. We all have them you know. :becky:

First off, MMA has a multi year contract, they were already in as they were bringing in good money for KCBS and nobody wanting to end something that was working, 2. the requirement for the 10 contests was not unreasonable, they wanted someone who could walk into any situation and be able to fix it, a newer organizer may or may not have delt with too many situations and could probably fix almost anything near home, it is when you are freestyling in an ara where you cannot call your friends to help you out.

Gene, I will give you somewhat of a break on this because knowing the extreme shortage of KCBS events in the state of Texas, it might have been very difficult to locate an organizer with ties to the area that could make everything happen. That being said, you are not from the area and according to you anyway, everything worked out so I'm thinking any quality organizer in the midwest could have accomplished the same thing. I am rather disappointed that ten years of experience was required. Stan Hays, a member here, the person who puts on the contest with me here in Pleasant Hill, is now in his fifth year or organizing and he used to live in Austin. Now I wouldn't expect MMA or the board to know that but I guarantee you that if hired, Stan could have returned to Austin, made some additional contacts and pulled off an incredible contest. But we'll never know because no one opened it up to others and once again, a board member benefitted from his position on the board.

Jeff the Sam's Organizer jobs were open
Some were run by non BoD members
with less than 10 years experience organizing

Gene, I will give you somewhat of a break on this because knowing the extreme shortage of KCBS events in the state of Texas, it might have been very difficult to locate an organizer with ties to the area that could make everything happen. That being said, you are not from the area and according to you anyway, everything worked out so I'm thinking any quality organizer in the midwest could have accomplished the same thing. I am rather disappointed that ten years of experience was required. Stan Hays, a member here, the person who puts on the contest with me here in Pleasant Hill, is now in his fifth year or organizing and he used to live in Austin. Now I wouldn't expect MMA or the board to know that but I guarantee you that if hired, Stan could have returned to Austin, made some additional contacts and pulled off an incredible contest. But we'll never know because no one opened it up to others and once again, a board member benefited from his position on the board.

Jeff, I quoted yours but this will also answer some of the others as well. I don't remember exactly how I found out or how it was announced but it was open. You had to submit a resume and a list of events you wanted to organize. I got a letter back from MMA that said I was on the short list that they had numerous applicants with more experience. I couldn't argue with that about the ones I had applied for because Jerry Garnder ended up with them and he is a very good one.

Maybe it could have been more advertised, don't know.

Define open. Was there an at large communication and casting call to organizers?

I and a few friends who run contests got an email asking us to pick a date and apply
I asked for the Fort Worth date, having family in that area.
MMA went with Ronnie for that one

it was open, an e-mail was sent to KCBS organizers withthe qualifications required, the 10 events required by Sam's cut most out.... time away from (regular jobs) probably took out most though...

it was open, an e-mail was sent to KCBS organizers withthe qualifications required, the 10 events required by Sam's cut most out.... time away from (regular jobs) probably took out most though...

Jeff, I assume you got that mail?

Back