QUESTION: Oil-soked paper towels for fire starters?

Sombody recently told me to use a sterno underneath the chimney. It works like a charm with no paper mess left over.

I used to use the sideburner on my gasser too light my chimney, but wifey made me get rid of the gasser (I only used it to light the chimney) For $25 I bought a cute littlle firepit gadget from wallywork - works well

I've read that some folks use a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil as a fire starter.

How does that work? Do you light the towel on fire and put it on top of your coals like a Minion burn? Do you place some coals over the towel and let it burn up into the charcoal? Or do you put it in a chimney with coals?...

Sorry to be dense, but I've never seen this done nor ever heard a full description. :confused:

Also, does this method have any advantages over a couple of sheets of newspaper in a chimney?

Yep two or three crumpled news papers places under the coals, wood or lump with a little oil drizzled on it will work just great. Up side by not using a chimney is everything is contained in the fire box and you don't have to handle anything just light it up in the fire box, no dumping of hot coals or burning paper embers floating around.

Another up side I have never had to re light a fire using this method. But having said all that I now use a weed burner for multiple reasons. I can start the fire. clean the grates off, pre heat the smoker and get everyone on the block looking out the window to see if an F-15 is coming in for a landing.:clap2:
Dave

Well here are my favorites...

A half a weber parafin cube paired with a small but tightly packed newspaper doughnut.

Also, oil soaked cardboard works ridiculously well. If you've ever used cardboard to start a fire, you know that it is substantial enough to form coals. Combine that with oil, and you have a very cheap but potent fire starter.

Either way, I recommend that you pack the fiber (paper, cloth, etc..) tightly if you are using additional fuel, as to approximate a wick. You can actually get many uses out of cloth (cotton) if you pack it tightly and allow the oil to be the fuel rather than the cloth.

edit: just watched popdaddy's vid and I pretty much agree with what he demonstrates. Wax paper is a smart choice b/c wax is also fuel, but im a cheap farker so I stick with old phone books and newspaper.

Back