Question for Lang / Offset users

i have had my lang 60 since dec and used it 3 times. i am having the same problem but i have discovered that it needs to be level DUH!!!!!!
so maybe that will help you a little but haven't tried it myself yet sorry

Ron has an important point. Level is key to starting the cook. Also, drain valve must be wide open.
Keep stack wide open, doors wide open, and get the Lang up to 300. Close her down and smoke some good meat. Only use the fire box vents to control the temp.

Ron, remember, the grate on your Lang fire box has already been raised an inch - no need to raise further.

Bubba, I find that the shortest intervals are 45 mins, but a proper fire will get up to two hours. However, I am speaking of a 60, not an 84.

Thats pretty impressive Noah!

Even on the 60, the best i could do is an hour or so.

I have a 84 and only use wood and I start it with a weed burner and it is level and have a grate about 2 1/2 inch off bottom for wood, with the drain opened up and the exhaust fully open. and the air intakes by the firebox door opened 1/2 inch. And the door proped open on the latch. This seems to do me well and I get around 45min between adding logs I also stack mine (2 one way 2 the other and so on)

I've been thinking about this for a little bit, and I think it is important to note that my Lang has a kinda sweet spot you have to find for each cook. Sometimes, 225* is where she likes it, and sometimes its 250*. As long as the temp is reasonable, I just go with it.

I use a "Klose" type charcoal basket in my large offset. It is approx 18 wide by 24 deep by 14 tall. Solid steel sides with an expanded metal bottom and 2 sets of internal dividers. I fill with approx 20 lbs of lump, and 5 to 6 fist sized chunks of pecan or avocado. Takes about 40 minutes to get up to heat, using weed burner to light and preheat the cooker. I get about 5 hours consistent temp @ about 240* before I refill the basket.

I've been thinking about this for a little bit, and I think it is important to note that my Lang has a kinda sweet spot you have to find for each cook. Sometimes, 225* is where she likes it, and sometimes its 250*. As long as the temp is reasonable, I just go with it.

Good point Noah. Somtimes there are alot of variables in any smoke, such as the wood your burning(some just burn hotter then others), and the ambient temp outside(not to mention rain,wind or snow) like you all mentioned above.

A couple of questions...
Why do you leave the drain open? I haven't ever seen anyone do this.
What difference does the pit being level make?
I would assume that you have the pit out of level running to the drain.

jon

A couple of questions...
Why do you leave the drain open? I haven't ever seen anyone do this.
What difference does the pit being level make?
I would assume that you have the pit out of level running to the drain.

jon
I leave the drain open so that I don't get a build up of grease, and risking a fire. Since the pan has a channel and built in slope, it will drain no matter what the level of the cooker (within reason!).

Also, but adjusting the hight of the trailer tongue, you can regulate the temp from end to end. With the tongue down, the firebox side will be substantially warmer (if you want to cook different things at different temps). With the tongue up, you can usually get a very even temp across the cooker with just a few degrees between ends (5*-10*).

hey walt,
thanks for the information and i hope you don't mind if i call you with more stupid problems ok

Noah,
Thanks for the info.
I had not thought about the level of pit affecting the cooking temps.
I will give it a try and see if my temps level out.
How much temp variation are you able to achieve with the pit out of level?
I might try leaving the drain open also. I had not considered a fire in the pit.
Have you experienced that?
jon

Noah,
Thanks for the info.
I might try leaving the drain open also. I had not considered a fire in the pit.
jon
As far as temp variation, I really don't know. When I cook beans, I want them to simmer, so I drop the tongue to make the firebox end warmer. I know that it can get the pan to simmer fairly quickly, with the other end in the sweet spot.

Rainbow20pictures205-2008202.jpg

As for grease, I never have had a fire, and I haven't heard of a Lang owner who has had one. However, you never know, and since I figure I wouldn't be able to replace Marie for a while, I had better not take a chance!

Noah,
Thanks for the info.
jon

If you raise the front and prevent drainage and are cooking more than a couple of items make sure you lower every hour or so to drain. You can have issues if the grease stays close to the fire box. Grease fires are no fun...been there done that:sad:

BTW, frequently have the front end higher to level out the temp...

I am having some tuning plates cut for the pit now.
I hope that will even out the temps in the pit.
I had not considered leveling the pit to change/regulate temps.
This topic has been very helpful.
The temperature is going to be in the 50s this weekend so maybe i'll get to experiment some.
If i can learn to keep a SMALL, clean fire burning ...
jon

You shouldn't need tuning plates on a Lang, from what I understand. The 'baffle' running end to end acts like a tuning plate absorbing the heat as the smoke runs the length of the pit, then back to exhaust. It should help give you more even temps from end to end.

I cook on a Meadow Creek which is very much like the Lang 84 DLX (also reverse flow) and my experience has been much like Noah's. I will say that it's not worth rushing to get the meat on-- preheat the pit adequately, add smaller pieces of wood as you build up a bed of coals.

and lose the LIGHT BEER! Could be as much as 70% of your problem! Bud Light is asking for problems.

beerguy

Back