Question for gravity feed owners

frankH

Knows what a fatty is.
I've gathered most of my materials, and i'm about ready to build my own gravity feed smoker. Before I start cutting, what would you gravity feed owners change about your smoker?

I'm starting with these stainless catering carts. I'll cut one of these racks in 1/2 to use as my main frame.

photo.JPG

The weight is the one thing i would change if i ( could ). By nature gravity feds are heavy. I have a superior ss-2 and basically another one with 4 racks instead of three. The one with 3 racks ofcourse has more room between the racks and i tend to like that more, even though the other has 4 racks. Think large items like briskets and butts, and do use use a rack inside a pan to cook whick raises the height of the items you're smoking so you need alittle clearance. Hope this helps and good luck.

Figure out how to make a void so the ash will not pile up in the heat tube but instead just fall into the ash pan.

A second ash pan comes in handy also.

Thanks guys. Good stuff.

I have no idea what this thing will weigh, but it'll be heavy. I'm going to add HDPE runners on the back side, so i can tilt it over and slide it into the bed of my truck. In theory atleast.

I was going to make my heat diverter slide into the lowest rack runner. That way i can clean it, and modify if needed.

A second ash pan is a good idea. Maybe i'll size the ash chamber for a foil pan.

Maybe i'll size the ash chamber for a foil pan.

I would go with a steel pan instead of foil pan, 1/2 size hotel pan should work. When you are cleaning a gravity feed smoker you will want a ash pan with some strength.

If your planning to do hot and fast cooking, then I would extend or divert the firebox heat tube (for lack of a better name).My superior tends to let the flame enter the smoking area causing nasty smoke and or grease fire.

Back