THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mike Twangzer

is One Chatty Farker
Seems like the term split refers to a large round log that has been split into smaller sections... my question is : can branches maybe 1-2 inches in diameter be used to smoke ? probably still has the bark on. Or are these just fire pit fodder ?

When I smoked with peach wood (used to hunt at a friend's with a peach orchard) used a lot of limbs that size. Now I use mostly pecan that splits or chunks.

i get those pieces all the time mixed into the wood i get. I'll split them and they work great to get my fire going. I'll also mix them in when i need a small bump of heat or if i want a piece that takes a second to catch.

I believe there was an episode of pitmasters that showed Myron stopping on side of road on way to a comp to cut down a peach tree and threw pieces into trailer. May have been just for the show but I dont see any reason why you couldnt use them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use small cherry all the time. I do split it, even if it is thin already because I find it lights better than a round piece covered in bark. Works great. My LSG recommends smaller splits anyhow, so for me it's a no brainer.

We get a lot of pecan branches that break this time of year due to weight and wind. I waste nothing! As long as it is seasoned it will burn in my Shirley.

I get a few smaller bark-on peach & pecan pieces mixed in with the almond I usually use. Works perfectly fine for smoking or Santa Maria style.

Back