Question about table numbers and judging!

Brother-n-law-BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey guys I was wondering if you guys have noticed in bigger contests(50 plus teams) you cook if they are telling teams to turn in based by your team number.For example teams 1-25 turn in here and 26-50 turn in here. I just did not know if this was common place in bigger events!I dont like it if this does happen, for the simple reason is you are cooking for the same set of judges and also cooking against the same teams.Thoughts?

Last edited:
I was at a contest a couple of years ago where the reps did this. I don't think this should be done either. The contest I was at had about 70 teams and 9 out of the top 10 overall were from the same group of numbers.

I am a little confused! I am looking at your scorscoresheet right now and see NO DUPLICATE TABLES. Which table were you on twice?

Don't see a good reason for doing this.

Our contest (55-65 teams) - 1 turn in table.

And for heaven's sake, the AR Open -560 teams - 1 turn in table.
OK, every year except that year at Arrowhead Stadium where the Invitational
side turned in at one end of the stadium and the dark side at the other. And
they had 2 rooms of judges. In my opinion, that year did not go to well
for organization and the appearance of fairness.

Ask the organizer why they did this , and let us know please.

At Sip & Swine the Organizer had nothing to do with the decision, we, the Rep team chose to do it. It went very smooth with 1 pro table split in two and 1 Backyard table. STILL do not know what the gentleman who started this thread is talking about, he did not go on the same table twice. He must have misread his detail sheet.

No no the mistake was mine, we enter our scores and info on a spreadsheet after comps so we can both look at them online, I simply did not change one of the table numbers!This was definitely not a knock on the Braziers as I think they are the best in the biz, I was just trying to get some clarification on the separating of teams at turn ins!

I don't think this matters. It does smooth things out for reps to renumber and distribute boxes on trays (so they don't go to the same table twice).

The only contest that it doesn't pay to turn in to the same person at turn in is the Royal. That one turn in person does "feed" a select group of table captains. I did get on the same table twice the last Royal I cooked. My runner turned in to the same person all 4 categories.

We also feed both lines onto the trays, taking some boxes from high numbers and some from the lower numbered lines for each tray. We don't build trays based on 1-50 and 51-100.

I've been at contests where this is done, but they don't keep them separate when building the trays to the judges. It's just to help keep a super long line down at the table.

Back