THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

bendosia

Hey guys. I have a large big green egg.
After a long cook, I close the dampers and put the rain cap on the BGE. Usually, I pull the BGE under the roof of my porch, but this time I neglected too. :redface:
As a result, after opening up the BGE the following week to cook some wings, there was mold all over the inside! I was sooo pissed!
I basically took my torch and tried to burn/clean the inside pretty well, and the mold seemed to have disappeared. However, a few days later, I see the mold has come back! Granted, there is significantly less mold, but it's still there.

Anyone got any suggestions to permenantly get rid of the mold inside? it's a white colored mold that appears spotty all over the ceramic inside.

Clean out all of the ashes, leave it out in the sun with the lid open for a while, and then build a decent fire and let it go for a couple of hours.

That worked for me the one time I had that happen.

Thanks man. I'll have to try that when I get home.
This is the first time I've had this happen to me. You can be rest assured I am not leaving my BGE out without any cover! :cool:

Yeah, when I first tried to clean the BGE, I used my torch on the grill and the ceramic parts. I focused mostly on the grill, so I think that might be why the mold grew back on the ceramic.

Back