Que in the Constitution State (CT)

T

tjl1962

Hello Brethren,

I went to Hartford for a model train meet, and was lucky to catch a review on a local news channel about a local BBQ Restaurant. I quickly jotted down the brief info, and then searched the Web for the address. I discovered that I could stop at this place on the way home. So, I planned for a Pulled Pork sammie for lunch on Sunday.

I found the "joint" easy enough, very close to I-95; Easy off - Easy on from either direction. I parked on the side street, and noticed a small parking lot in back; So there's plenty of places to park. I stepped out of my Wrangler, took a breath and smiled. I then took a longer, deeper breath, cause I immediately knew that I would not be disappointed with my choice for lunch. Tucked into a corner in the back lot was a trailer mounted Bandera-style (I may be wrong about the description) smoker, named Big Mama.

I now have two indications that lunch is getting better by the second, and I didn't even get in the door yet. I walk in and the decor is perfect, just what I would expect. Corrugated metal sheeting (again, description could be a bit off) is mounted under the bar, with a wood top varnished to a smooth finish. As I was only there once, I will provide a better description in my next post, but this was the third indication that I was headed in the right direction.

This is a restaurant\Fast Food place, the way it should be! This is a compliment, and not an insult to this fine establishment. Those fast food joints would learn a lot from just walking into this restaurant. I felt like I was at home. In a word, Comfy.

I ordered my Carolina Pulled Pork Sammie from a young man that needs more experience tending the register, and this is my only complaint. I took a seat at the bar and waited for my name to be called and get my lunch. I now had time to look around and realized that the Proprieter\Pit Boss was preparing everyone's meals. My fourth indication that this meal would be an extremely enjoyable meal was that the owner was more concerned with food prep than tending the register.

After this observation, I noticed the other smoker, and immediately wondered how he got this thing inside. This should be showcased on MegaMovers, Extreme Engineering and other such shows. It looks large and provides the enticing aromas I noticed outside. It is affectionately named "Mimi," and I believe this is in honor of his Mother; As he ackowldges her in providing his "love" of cooking. Yes, this is another indication of good food about to be eaten.

What? You want to know about the food? Do I need to talk about how delicious the pulled pork tasted? OK then, this was by far the best damn pulled pork sandwich in the entire northeast. It exceeded my expectations so much that it will be hard for the next place to even compete. Let me remind you that I'm in Connecticut, so it is safe to say, I will never have pulled pork at any other place, unless it is far enouugh south for me to be called a Yankee.

While I'm enjoying lunch with a beer, I must take this moment to say that the beer selection was limited, but I didn't stop here for the suds. At this time, the much needed cavalry showed up and the overworked Pit Boss, could relax a little. Remember, it is lunch time and the place is getting crowded to the point where people are taking advantage of the outdoor seating. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, so everyone could relax inside or out.

A more experienced gentleman takes over at the register and nods a "hello" to me. His experience shows; In that he realizes the customer is important to a successful restaurant. The Pit Boss serves the sauce-on-the-side, which allows you to choose between the different offerings available. I tried two, and settled on the Pit Boss' own sauce, which has won awards.

Half way through my sammie, I decided to order take-out and bring dinner home with me. Since I've never experienced Brisket, I decided to order a Brisket platter. I ordered baked beans and mashed sweet potatoes for the sides, and knew I would enjoy the corn bread, too.

I cleaned up my plate after lunch and walked up to the register to order. The Gent asked me my name as they use first names to track the orders. I waited at the bar for my order and picked it up when my name was called. As I was walking out the door, the Gent at the register said, "Take care TJ". I turned, smiled and waved back my own goodbye. He didn't have to wish me to come back soon, as he knew I that in one lunch, I became a dedicated customer.

I did not mention the Pit Boss by name and I have not mentioned the restaurant by name, because I wanted to build some anticipation. I wanted the reader, if close enough, to want to make the trip, because it is worth it. So now, finally, I present Ed Wilson, Proprieter and Pit Boss of Wilson's Real Pit Barbeque.

Here's a link to his home on the Web: http://www.wilsons-bbq.com

If you are in the Northeast Tri-State area, make the trip to Wilsons, you will not be disappointed.

Best Regards,
-TJ
P.S. This was last Sunday, and I'm headed back to Wilson's to experience the ribs. I know it will be worth the drive from NY to CT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back