Pulled the trigger on a Smokehouse...finally!

bwram1

is one Smokin' Farker
I have talked myself into, and out of, the Old Country Smokehouse...three years in a row. I finally bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on one. I will be seasoning it tomorrow, and will cook something...just haven't decided what yet.

EDIT: Sold my OK Joe Bandera to make room for this beauty.

Attachments

• TOlj3Fl.jpg
    TOlj3Fl.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 392
  • 3Xy3aT7.jpg
    3Xy3aT7.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 396
  • JWaxbN4.jpg
    JWaxbN4.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing this in action because I really, really, really like it and want one! Congrats.

I'd buy/have one. But I don't trust getting one shipped. No Academy in Michigan.
Alot of posts saying to pick one out in the store that has good fit/finish.
Ever since Smitty originally posted about these way back when.
Anyone have one shipped?

Congrats! Loving mine. I've had almost 3 years now. Haven't used it this year but I plan on giving it a workout in a couple of weeks when I'm off for a week.

these Smokehouse have Way More exhaust than they Need - run exhaust 1/3- 1/2 Open

I found that out. At one point, I was about 1/4 on the intake and half on the exhaust and was humming along in the 275 range. If I can get Imgur to cooperate, I'll be posting a few pics.

I had a couple of issues with temp at the beginning of the cook...maybe I shouldn't have done what I did. I seasoned the cooker for 3 hours at 350 with no water in the pan. Right at the 3 hour mark, I threw on a rack of STL ribs. Because the pan was scalding hot, I decided not to add water to the pan. I got the temp to drop easily enough, but had issues for the first hour or so of the cook, trying to keep it under 290. (My Smoke was set for a low of 260 and a high of 290.)
After that first hour, I think I had it pretty well figured out and was able to maintain 270-285 for another 3.5 hours without doing much more than adding a split.

I had two bags of store bought kiln dried wood (the mini logs) that I decided to use up for today's event. I know that that stuff burns up faster and, since the first 3 hours was 325-350 seasoning and the entire 7.5 hours was with no water, I was surprised to find that I only used 15 of those splits. I started the fire with a full chimney of lit KBB...and only added 12 splits over the next 7.5 hours. Does that sound about right?

I'd buy/have one. But I don't trust getting one shipped. No Academy in Michigan.

Alot of posts saying to pick one out in the store that has good fit/finish.

Ever since Smitty originally posted about these way back when.

Anyone have one shipped?
I just had one shipped and have no complaints.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I found that out. At one point, I was about 1/4 on the intake and half on the exhaust and was humming along in the 275 range. If I can get Imgur to cooperate, I'll be posting a few pics.

I had a couple of issues with temp at the beginning of the cook...maybe I shouldn't have done what I did. I seasoned the cooker for 3 hours at 350 with no water in the pan. Right at the 3 hour mark, I threw on a rack of STL ribs. Because the pan was scalding hot, I decided not to add water to the pan. I got the temp to drop easily enough, but had issues for the first hour or so of the cook, trying to keep it under 290. (My Smoke was set for a low of 260 and a high of 290.)
After that first hour, I think I had it pretty well figured out and was able to maintain 270-285 for another 3.5 hours without doing much more than adding a split.

I had two bags of store bought kiln dried wood (the mini logs) that I decided to use up for today's event. I know that that stuff burns up faster and, since the first 3 hours was 325-350 seasoning and the entire 7.5 hours was with no water, I was surprised to find that I only used 15 of those splits. I started the fire with a full chimney of lit KBB...and only added 12 splits over the next 7.5 hours. Does that sound about right?

Yup...........

these Smokehouse have Way More exhaust than they Need - run exhaust 1/3- 1/2 Open

Intersting. I run both exhaust dampers wide open. I use about 3 splits and it stays right around 275 degrees. In the summer I run the intake about halfway and in the winter I open it all the way. I haven't modified it other than putting a cheap thermometer in the door but I use a probe in the chamber to monitor temps.

Shipping was $99 and included drop gate to curb. Tracking was a little sketchy and they missed two delivery appointments. The driver went way above what was expected and helped me get it up my steep driveway and onto our back patio. Couldn't have done it alone.

A couple of minor issues but for $99 I'm not complaining.

Cool. Thanks!
Was that drop gate delivery? Pay extra?

Question that is relative to the overall topic. I currently have a Weber Mastertouch and a Camp Chef Smokepro Dlx. I’d like to get a bigger pit. Something like this Smokehouse. I know it’ll be a bit of a learning curve, as I’ve never run a stick burner. But I’d like to invest in something and learn it. Would you start smaller/cheaper or go with this?

Back