Pulled Beef Question

Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulled Beef Question

Kevin said:
I think I detect a new tamale filling to try!

Kevin

When first few times I cooked brisket (just the flats from the market) they came out dry. I cut them into ½ and 1 lb chunks, vacuum sealed and froze them for when needed. After defrosting, I`d cube them to a good ½ inch chunks with the grain and put them in a small pot with some taco seasoning and a good amount of water. Simmer it for at least 2 hrs and the meat will rehydrate to the point of it falling apart like shreaded beef (½ inch shreads). I fill soft and hard shell taco`s and top it with home made salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. Just had them last night. The smoked taco meat IS second to none!

This will work with any cut meat. Dry or not.

xczar said:
Kevin said:

Kevin

When first few times I cooked brisket (just the flats from the market) they came out dry. I cut them into ½ and 1 lb chunks, vacuum sealed and froze them for when needed. After defrosting, I`d cube them to a good ½ inch chunks with the grain and put them in a small pot with some taco seasoning and a good amount of water. Simmer it for at least 2 hrs and the meat will rehydrate to the point of it falling apart like shreaded beef (½ inch shreads). I fill soft and hard shell taco`s and top it with home made salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. Just had them last night. The smoked taco meat IS second to none!

Damn, xczar, you just planned my dinner for tonight. I read this, jumped up and ran out to pull some brisket out of the freezer. Thanks.

qman said:
xczar said:
Kevin said:

Kevin

Damn, xczar, you just planned my dinner for tonight. I read this, jumped up and ran out to pull some brisket out of the freezer. Thanks.

Kevin, .......... just give yourself enough time to cook it to where it 'falls apart'. You can use a fork to help break it apart near the end and finish cooking. About 2 hrs. And, keep an eye on it as it will need more water from time to time. It can not be over cooked as long as there is some water in it. Once the meat is soft and shreaded, let it sit in the pot to reduce the liquid down to where you want it. I reduce it down all the way to just soft meat. But you could leave it a bit juicey.

*Remember when cubing the meat* The length of the of the grain cut is the length of the shread when the meat falls apart. Short grain cuts will leave the meat a bit like chop meat. That`s why I mentioned leving the grain about ½ inch, or what ever you prefer.

Make a big batch of salsa to eliminate the hassle of putting a little of each ingreadiate in each shell. Makes things much easier when eating. Mine`s usually.

-Fresh ripe chopped tomatoes
-a lot of cilantro
-onions
-hot jalapeneo`s
-one home dried habanero chopped up very fine
-canned corn
-course chopped black olives
-fine chopped garlic
-a little salt and black pepper
-some dried chile powder`s, ancho, pasilla, or any chile type powders
-juice of one lime

*Prepare for the best damn taco/tamale`s you ever had! Ice cold beer is a must for me. You`ll never use chopped meat again.

I've used chuck roast with very good success......that's your best bet in the smoker...imo.

Pulled smoked chuck on a gilled cheese using provolone, tomatoes, and grilled onions...Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dang Neil.....and I was looking forward to my fattie stuffed pork loin and au gratin potato lunch before you mentioned that. Now it just seems kinda drab.....heheheheh. I guess I'm gonna have to see if the wifey can find a chuck roast at the grocery and try this.

Back