PSA: KitchenAid Stand Mixer Hinge Pin

My KitchenAid started to smoke and then stopped, luckily at the end of my knead. I took it back to Costco and got my money back. I'd had it for a couple years but it only had light use and it was one of their heavy duty units. After reading all the online reviews I decided I wasn't going to be spending any more money on KitchenAid products. I replaced it with an Ankarsrum unit. Extremely happy with it.

PHP:
The nylon gear is designed to be the weakest link. It’s better to shred that gear than smoke your motor.

You are 100% correct. Their entry level mixers aren't made to be used every day in a commercial setting. They're made for light use. Doughs can be a struggle. Smart of Kitchenaid to use the nylon gearing with the smaller motors. A lot easier replace some gearing than a new motor if they get abused.

My KitchenAid started to smoke and then stopped, luckily at the end of my knead. I took it back to Costco and got my money back. I'd had it for a couple years but it only had light use and it was one of their heavy duty units. After reading all the online reviews I decided I wasn't going to be spending any more money on KitchenAid products. I replaced it with an Ankarsrum unit. Extremely happy with it.

Was it their Professional model? That should hold up for dough. I've only heard good things about Bosch mixers and dough. Another alternative for people who might be interested.

Was it their Professional model? That should hold up for dough. I've only heard good things about Bosch mixers and dough. Another alternative for people who might be interested.

It was their professional 6qt model. I bought the heaviest model available with the intention of possibly adding a meat grinder attachment down the road. I didn't have a lot of use on it. Most of the bread dough was single loaf recipes. I expected a lot better.

It was their professional 6qt model. I bought the heaviest model available with the intention of possibly adding a meat grinder attachment down the road. I didn't have a lot of use on it. Most of the bread dough was single loaf recipes. I expected a lot better.

That's too bad. I know Kitchenaid had a class action lawsuit brought against them at one point because of faulty motors but I believe that's been awhile.

Be careful changing the grease.
I did it.
It just seems the unit has more play in it than it did before.
I regret it.

If you use synthetic grease it's a one time deal. You'll change your oil, filter, and fuel filter again before you will have to change out your synthetic grease in your Kitchenaid mixer. It's really not all that bad. If you're doing all that with your vehicle it's a pretty simple fix on your mixer. There's ways to cut down on time but I'm keeping it simple and not saying it can't be done in 1-1.5 hours. It's going to take time as it's your first time.

I also understand if you want to buy a mixer every so often. It's not for all. I'd run out of $20 mixers if people didn't go out and buy new ones! It's more of a recommendation for preventive maintenance. Just like changing your oil and fuel filter on your truck. (It should be done but I've had a buddy drive his old Honda for years without ever changing his oil)

Kitchenaid used to be owned by Hobart. They were bought by Whirlpool in the early 90's. Hobart and the first couple years of Whirlpool used all steel gearing with a stout motor. Whirlpool eventually switched over to a smaller motor and nylon gearing. (I believe the Professional Series still has steel gearing.) I've probably greased 6+ Kitchenaid Hobart's over the years. I could only imagine how many been scrapped over the years thinking they were broken. Hard to beat an older Hobart Kitchenaid mixer. Most of them just need some new grease and they're back up and running.

Good information - Thank you.

Where do yo find the synthetic food grade grease in small quantities?

Thanks

Thanks for the tip.

My wife's is in the 25-30 year range and never had an issue or noticed anything loose. She puts it through a work out mixing for days when she does her Christmas cookies.

Just put checking the screws on my list for the weekend.

Be careful changing the grease.
I did it.
It just seems the unit has more play in it than it did before.
I regret it.

That's strange. Are you sure everything was put back in order correctly? I'm not sure how there could be any play in the mixer other than something that was maybe not put back in order. I'm not saying you're wrong but I've never heard of anyone having play in their mixer afterwards. I've done around 15 mixers and never experienced that. Would you have any idea where the play is coming from? That way I might have an idea and I can take some pics for you and maybe you could compare if you crack yours back open.

I really do suggest using synthetic food safe synthetic grease if you take the time to grease it. What I've read and others mentioned that the synthetic grease won't break down like regular food safe grease will. Regular grease will work but you will need to run the mixer at least once a week to condition the grease from breaking down or hardening. When they sit is the problem.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd post some pictures of the mixer cracked open. Here is a picture of the grease that's hardened up.

PXL-20220314-230735630.jpg

PXL-20220314-230753830.jpg

Old crappy Kitchenaid grease removed.

PXL-20220318-205853937.jpg

PXL-20220318-215427749.jpg

PXL-20220318-205603073.jpg

PXL-20220318-205626517.jpg

PXL-20220318-205727916.jpg

PXL-20220319-015923450-MP.jpg

YLMHzTpJ

PXL-20220319-015518534-MP.jpg

A little time consuming but seeing what it looks like before and after is the big pay off. No more crappy grease that will break down in the future.

Back