THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hotch

Staff member

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Hotch
This past Sunday I spent the day trying to fire up a Pellet Vertical Smoker for a fellow Brethren.
Upon inspection I noticed the auger was not turning. So I went all in and completely dismantled everything! As you can see in the YT vid of just seconds of what ended up 30-40 minutes of chiseling and prying many times on the auger to get it out out the auger tube. I had success after a bit and then went forward on a full clean of the cooker. It works great now but will need to replace the controller as the display is flaky.

I really like my BGE's and my Shirley! :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/YhGU1XpaWlc

Bummer… and a pain in the butt!! I guess I’ve been lucky. In 6 years of cooking with pellets, never a jam. Have lived in humid TN for 2 years now and never remove pellets between cooks. Not a single moisture related issue… knock on wood.

Bummer… and a pain in the butt!! I guess I’ve been lucky. In 6 years of cooking with pellets, never a jam. Have lived in humid TN for 2 years now and never remove pellets between cooks. Not a single moisture related issue… knock on wood.

I keep them in there a long time as well. 8 years, and I haven't had a problem with that. It isn't under any awnings but I keep a cover on it most of the time. A few times I forgot and did the pellet poppers sinners prayer before a fire up.

I’ve never emptied a pellet hopper between cooks. Though the longest I’ve probably ever gone between cooks is 4-6 weeks.

You said vertical, right? It’s not one of the first gen Pit Boss verticals is it? I remember reading some of the early Pit Boss verticals had an issue where it actually channeled rain into the hopper/auger.

I’ve never emptied a pellet hopper between cooks. Though the longest I’ve probably ever gone between cooks is 4-6 weeks.

You said vertical, right? It’s not one of the first gen Pit Boss verticals is it? I remember reading some of the early Pit Boss verticals had an issue where it actually channeled rain into the hopper/auger.

Yes it is, a series 5. It had a cover on it but it had it had degraded.
Many small openings on the top.

You are a good man Hotch I am sure Chris and family fool like it too I like my Egg too except I need to change the gasket-actually there is not much of one there- got the Egg 13 years ago

Back