PSA- Don't Leave Pellets in your Pellet Pooper To Long!

Hotch

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Hotch
This past Sunday I spent the day trying to fire up a Pellet Vertical Smoker for a fellow Brethren.
Upon inspection I noticed the auger was not turning. So I went all in and completely dismantled everything! As you can see in the YT vid of just seconds of what ended up 30-40 minutes of chiseling and prying many times on the auger to get it out out the auger tube. I had success after a bit and then went forward on a full clean of the cooker. It works great now but will need to replace the controller as the display is flaky.

I really like my BGE's and my Shirley! :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/YhGU1XpaWlc

Bummer… and a pain in the butt!! I guess I’ve been lucky. In 6 years of cooking with pellets, never a jam. Have lived in humid TN for 2 years now and never remove pellets between cooks. Not a single moisture related issue… knock on wood.

Bummer… and a pain in the butt!! I guess I’ve been lucky. In 6 years of cooking with pellets, never a jam. Have lived in humid TN for 2 years now and never remove pellets between cooks. Not a single moisture related issue… knock on wood.

I keep them in there a long time as well. 8 years, and I haven't had a problem with that. It isn't under any awnings but I keep a cover on it most of the time. A few times I forgot and did the pellet poppers sinners prayer before a fire up.

I’ve never emptied a pellet hopper between cooks. Though the longest I’ve probably ever gone between cooks is 4-6 weeks.

You said vertical, right? It’s not one of the first gen Pit Boss verticals is it? I remember reading some of the early Pit Boss verticals had an issue where it actually channeled rain into the hopper/auger.

I’ve never emptied a pellet hopper between cooks. Though the longest I’ve probably ever gone between cooks is 4-6 weeks.

You said vertical, right? It’s not one of the first gen Pit Boss verticals is it? I remember reading some of the early Pit Boss verticals had an issue where it actually channeled rain into the hopper/auger.

Yes it is, a series 5. It had a cover on it but it had it had degraded.
Many small openings on the top.

You are a good man Hotch I am sure Chris and family fool like it too I like my Egg too except I need to change the gasket-actually there is not much of one there- got the Egg 13 years ago

Back