Protecting your stuff

I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to shoot a trailer thief from your hotel room window so no matter how big your gun is you're gonna need some other support.

Many of you know mine was stolen earlier this year from a hotel parking lot. They cut my lock and swung the tongue over, hooked and left. There was a big hunk of 4"x4" there, I assume they used that to jimmy it as the tongue is pretty heavy.

The cops didn't even want to come to the hotel until I told them I was calling the local TV station. Even then they didn't care. Stolen trailers don't usually come back.

But I got lucky and mine did come back in pretty good shape. I had good insurance so all is well.

So of course I started looking for better locks, GPS, alarms etc. There is one system that is all of the above with a solar panel to keep everything charged. but I can tell you nobody thought this was worth the time, trouble, or money. Not the cops, or the trailer shop guys, or the guy who would have made some money installing it. I think they've seen them all get stolen anyway.

I figured that mine was stolen because it looked like a motorcycle trailer and when they got it home they didn't know what to do with it. All I had on the sides were green flames to match my Suburban. So my solution was to identify it as a BBQ trailer with big lettering and a picture of myself. It looks a little loud but that's what I wanted. I bought good locks too but I don't have much faith in them.

I truly believe thiefs are looking for tools, lawn equipment, ATVs and bikes when they steal these trailers. And of course the trailer. But if they think it's a kitchen they may not steal it because they won't be able to use it or fast sell the stuff inside.

This wouldn't apply to a Jambo but I think it does to all the box trailers.

Dr BBQ brought up a good point and I say this with experience as a police office. If your trailer looks like it has motorcycles, lawn equipment, off road bikes ect... theives will target them. These types of items are stolen often and easy to sell, at least here in the Baltimore Area.

Also remember people with drug problems that like to steal to make a quick $50.00 will remove items from your rig. With prices of scrap metal being good I often worry about my 4 stainless sinks and aluminum trip.

FYI: The gun is so I dont get jacked in some of these great areas I go to.

This is available at Cabelas for $34.99 It might discourage the less determined thief. Almost nothing will stop a real pro.
Just like you know BBQ, they know thievery.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...railer hitch lock&hasJS=true&_requestid=24311
trailerlock.jpg

Ray, I see your point with your picture on the trailer. Why would anybody else want to be seen pulling that image around?

we had are trailer looked at by some scum bags I say looked at because my alarm went off after he broke the door locks I woke up and we had a bit of a bad time I shot him in the leg and then beat the crap out of him bad time for him he was a 3 time looser and cops sent him away for life and got hit with firing a weapon in city limits and a fine in witch I will pay ever time a dirt bag wants to look at my bbq toys

we had are trailer looked at by some scum bags I say looked at because my alarm went off after he broke the door locks I woke up and we had a bit of a bad time I shot him in the leg and then beat the crap out of him bad time for him he was a 3 time looser and cops sent him away for life and got hit with firing a weapon in city limits and a fine in witch I will pay ever time a dirt bag wants to look at my bbq toys

Good for you!

Back