Pro vs Amature contest

There is no "Pro" as anyone with the entry fee can enter a BBQ Contest.

Now that being said, if you get invited to an invitational contest (Jack, Royal by invite, MBN Finals) Then I say you are a "PRO" and have no business screwing a small time team out of a trophy.

It's all Karma...it will come back to bite you, at least I hope it does.

My opinion is:

IF YOU COOK WITH THE BIG BOYS, YOU STAY WITH THE BIG BOYS. If you lend your equipment to a backyarder, make yourself scarce, that way you have not helped them in any way, your conscience is clear.

It always amazes me what some people will do for a trophy, and how their fun comes from hurting the small teams...cause thats what they are doing. If you are experienced in that sanctioning organization, stay out of the backyard division and let the small guys win their first trophy. Let them catch the BBQ Bug. Don't steal it from them just to get another piece of hardware for the office.

Winning this way you won't be remembered positively. If you want to be remembered, offer your help to them. Mentor them, taste their food, honestly judge their food if asked, and be a hero, not a bully...

Thank you, my rant is over.

most contests with both a sanctioned KCBS contest and an unsanctioned contest generally refer to the sanctioned as the "pro" event and the unsanctioned as the "backyard" or "amateur" event.

For example

http://www.hoghappenin.org/

which refers to "Pro" and "tailgate" events.

The tailgate entry fee is a fraction of the pro event and the prizes are much smaller. They even go so far as give free entry into next year's "pro" event to the winner of the tailgate contest.

Having a single unsanctioned event without saying who can enter is one thing. Having 2 contests on the same weekend where there are clear divisions is another.

I dont think that anyone broke any rules, I just want to know who they are so I can make fun of them.

but the question still exists.... who can enter the tailgate, who can not? If an experienced team is only available the day of the tailgate contest and willing to forgo the pro contest.... do they enter?

there would need to be some criteria to stop that.

If an unlabled event attracts the jack and ar winners ...

If the organizer throws in a cooler of PBR and GJ I bet it would :becky:

To me, a "pro" team is one that has cooked in a sanctioned event from a known sanctioning body (KCBS, MBN, FBA, PNWBA, etc.)

It's not always a slam dunk for the pro teams. Last year in Eliot, ME many of the "pro" teams entered the people's choice for pulled pork, but it was the "not on the circuit" teams that got most of the calls. The next day's KCBS event it was back to the usual suspects (except for some kind of fluke in chicken.)

As has been said, there is no rule against it, but I think its kinda snaky.

I also don't care for the cooks who stay in the backyard ranks looooong after they have become experts. IMHO the backyard/patio/amateur divisions are intended for local or semi local cooks who think they make good BBQ and want to see where they stack up.

See a fair bit of bbq teams competing and believe me there are not any pro teams here as the hobie just isn't as massive to where rankings are even a considered thing.
I do whatever comps I can get to because I love what I do but there is a point in my opinion where a competitive team should pull back the reins as in no need for banners , WSM's, Cambros, etc at a chili competition where the average Joe is showing up with a gas camp stove and a single pot to have a bit of fun. I think it just makes ya look like a tool.

I'm glad to see this discussion is back again this year.

Printed rules distributed to all competitors should pretty much eliminate this type of controversy. From what another person said, it sounds like this was a first time organizer. No idea if that's the case, but if it is you can bet (hope) that the same issue probably won't arise again next year.

Our team dealt with similar situations when competing in AZ. We competed in a few IBCA comps and Backyard Comps on the same day. The only difference was that the Backyard Comp contained different categories than the IBCA competition. For example, the Main 4 for IBCA and then some combo of Salsa, Kabobs, Burgers, Chicken, Chili, Carne Asada, etc. for the Backyard Comp.

Personally, I felt that we were at a slight disadvantage for having set ourselves up with 8 turn-ins on the half hour, staggered between IBCA and Backyard. Still, we did it and have no shame in how we finished in 2 out of the 3 BY events. We heard a few snide comments, but were totally OK with it.

I guess the true, defining discussion should not only be about Pro vs. Amateur, but also on the categories that both different events have. Our team never would have entered a BY/Amateur event on the same day/weekend if the same categories were applied to both comps. I guess we just wouldn't feel right about it.

Definitions and rules......it's the wave of the future.

This whole discussion revolves around one word----"Professional".

The obvious question is:

"If professional is the wrong word, what is the proper or acceptable name for the division" ???

TIM

I always try to call them "Sanctioned" and "Unsanctioned." Is there another set of words which more clearly describe them? Around here there are a lot of comps which call themselves "Backyard" but are really just "unsanctioned" and welcome any teams who regularly compete in KCBS sanctioned comps. The real question is whether or not you can cook both in the same weekend.

dmp

but the question still exists.... who can enter the tailgate, who can not? If an experienced team is only available the day of the tailgate contest and willing to forgo the pro contest.... do they enter?

there would need to be some criteria to stop that.

in the example given, I believe both events are held at the same time.

But I dont really care about who can enter which one. Like I said I doubt any rules were broken, people are free to enter any contest they want without breaking the rules.

I dont care about stopping teams from entering backyard contests, I just want to know who they are so that I can properly mock them if ever I see them.

Here in Wisconsin I have never seen a contest advertised as Pro or backyard but there is an unsanctioned contest or two that has said your not welcome to be here. Just put it in the rules up front please . Not wait till a few of your club members see your inquiring about what rules are being used etc. If one team that competes regularly in sanctioned contests isnt welcomed then others who do shouldnt be either just because they are your club members who need some sort of championship title to pedal their wares.

Just out of curiosity, did you know the teams that competed in both were pros because you were familiar with them outside of that comp or did you assume that they were pros because they did both events?

What if they were a new team that decided that as long as they were going they might as well compete in both?

Eric

The winners of the Amature contest was all Pro teams in the Amature event.

Noticing you are from chicago, and assuming you are talking about the St. Charles comp, this is not true. Amateur teams won the amateur contest. I guarannnnteee :mrgreen:

Back