Prime rib practice....with the inlaws

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Local supermarket has a nice sale on prime rib right now. So....time to practice. Got this 8# roast and cut it up the way I like to....separate the bones for chef's (and father in laws) snack. Only black pepper for seasoning since salt is a no no for mother in law. Smoked in the drum at around 230 degrees with oak until 125 internal. Then, a very quick sear to make it pretty. When it was done I had like 3 bottles of red in me so I forgot to take a pic when first sliced. Thus, the inside shot is a leftover piece from the next day.... but you get the idea...

Last edited:
I have a reverse sear recipe that calls for a rest before searing. It works well, but I'm wondering if there's anything to be gained by this if you rest the roast after searing.

I have a reverse sear recipe that calls for a rest before searing. It works well, but I'm wondering if there's anything to be gained by this if you rest the roast after searing.

I would assume it depends on what temp you cook to before sear. Rest before the sear will stop the cooking process earlier. Ive done it both ways and I did not notice a difference.

I would assume it depends on what temp you cook to before sear. Rest before the sear will stop the cooking process earlier. Ive done it both ways and I did not notice a difference.

I would think that also. If you cook at a low temp like 225 you would probably not need to rest all that much. If you cooked at 300, then resting uncovered would vent that heat off, so that when you sear it wont pile on too much heat and end up overcooking it.

Looks great. About how long did that take? I picked up an almost 5 pounder today for me and the wife. I've done one but it was so long ago I can't remember anything but how it looked, and tasted.

Back