Prime Brisket: Pick your pit!

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
I think I've mastered the WSM. Hands down it is the easiest pit I've ever worked with. This Brazos, different ball game. Everything is running smoothly and then I'll fool around and fall asleep or get called out to conduct business. I have not perfected the brisket off this offset smoker yet. If you had to choose between the WSM and this Brazos modified offset smoker... Which would you go with? For wood I'm stuck going to home Depot and getting Kingsford hickory splits. If I go with the WSM I have my choice of cowboy or lumberjack lump with Post oak hickory pecan cherry and peach chunks. For the rub I'm going away from a Texas pepper and salt rub to the oakridge Black ops or SuckleBusters Expresso Brisket Rub. As of now I am off work until next Monday and I have time to kill lol.

DqQiE1W.jpg

0bDnY4R.jpg

W0toFon.jpg

sZQ47Dd.jpg

Don't you use a LSG fire management basket on your brazos? Do you use the stock Brazos wood grate on the bottom of the fire pit with the fire management basket on top or do you use fire brick? How do you have yours set up for a clean burn?

Since you've got time off it's a good opportunity to get to know your Brazos better.

Why can you only get wood from Home Depot? I would imagine there would be plenty of wood available for sale in your area

Everything is running smoothly and then I'll fool around and fall asleep or get called out to conduct business...

Sounds like you're doing fine with the offset when you're not interrupted so there's the issue. You have to check in on the fire before stepping away for any length of time.

Depends if I feel like tending a fire all day. Brisket on my offset is best, but I can get most of the way there on my WSM.

I can literally see oak trees in the background of your pictures! :p
(Ok maybe not oak).

I would get on craigslist and get some good oak splits and use the offset.

Whatever you do it will be tastey!

Why can you only get wood from Home Depot? I would imagine there would be plenty of wood available for sale in your area

the problem with getting good cooking wood is Scammers. they will sell you green wood and lie to your face. i always check with a wood moisture meter and not one wood dealer passed. its sooo strange that you cant find good cooking wood in Georgia. if i could find good wood id probably buy 5 cords

If you bought 5 cords of properly seasoned wood you’d probably wind up with 4 cords of over seasoned wood by the time you burnt up the first cord. You’ll just need to buy the greener wood if you can’t find any seasoned and do it yourself, figure out how much you burn every 6-12 months and then start staggering your purchases based on that.

Nobody makes any money on wood just sitting out in a field cut and doing nothing, which is probably why you’re having a hard time finding wood already seasoned to your liking. Was about 50/50 for me.

If you bought 5 cords of properly seasoned wood you’d probably wind up with 4 cords of over seasoned wood by the time you burnt up the first cord. You’ll just need to buy the greener wood if you can’t find any seasoned and do it yourself, figure out how much you burn every 6-12 months and then start staggering your purchases based on that.

Nobody makes any money on wood just sitting out in a field cut and doing nothing, which is probably why you’re having a hard time finding wood already seasoned to your liking. Was about 50/50 for me.

these guys are selling super green wood. like... youd have to wait a year before burning. that red and white oak takes a while to season. most, longer than a year

Back