Prim Rib part deux

robertm

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
ROBERT
Bought a full bone on prime rib roast back at Christmas time frame. Cooked the larger 4 bone section at Christmas. It was really good but wasn't totally happy with it.

Cooked the smaller 3 bone section this weekend. Weighed 4lbs 6 oz w/o the bones.

1) Cut off bones and dry brined both in fridge with heavy application of AP rub for about 20 hrs.

2) Trussed the roast, added olive oil as a binder then added heavy app of rub.

Rub:
1/4 cup Killer Hogs Steak rub
1/2 tbsp fine chopped fresh sage
1/2 tbsp fine chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tbsp fine chopped fresh ty
1.5 tbsp fine chopped fresh GARLIC

3) On offset at cook temp of 250-300 to internal of 125. Took 3 hrs 15 minutes.

4) Rested open for 15 minutes then cut and served. It rose to 132 internal

The seasoning and internal temp were about perfect and wouldn't change a thing next time.

Other standouts were Third Eyes take on RRP au jus, man it was good. Sous vice mashed potatoes were dead easy and so flavorful as well.

Oh I also decided to cut the end pieces into burnt end style chunks. My lord they were fantastic and will always to them that way in the future.

w5NZSXq.jpg

jvDdQ1A.jpg

d4zJEGj.jpg

esNfDJM.jpg

G4ejOYe.jpg

Last edited:
Delicious looking,great looking food.
So what would those ribs be called

Delicious looking,great looking food.
So what would those ribs be called

Great minds. I asked the same question on another thread! ULC informed me they are the beef back ribs. I've seen them for cheap before at Walmart. Will definitely be buying some in the future. Hollywood cut would be the way to go for these to get more meat per bone.

Nice work, and super happy that you're happy!

One hint on not having that grey ring of meat around the outside is to never cook over 250. Under 250 (I usually go 200-225) will yield edge-to-edge color without the grey meat close to the edge.

I prefer the interior color to be right than focus on an exterior crust. But that's just preference on my part. Cooking at a lower temp will not give you a very good outer crust, but you can counter that by taking the rib out to rest & bump the oven up to it's max (500-550). Let it preheat a full 30 minutes while the rib rests, uncovered, on the counter. Then blast it in the hot-as-hades oven...but for no more than 4-5 minutes...any longer than that & you're right back where you started with the grey color around the outer edge.

Your rib looks great...

Nice work, and super happy that you're happy!

One hint on not having that grey ring of meat around the outside is to never cook over 250. Under 250 (I usually go 200-225) will yield edge-to-edge color without the grey meat close to the edge.

I prefer the interior color to be right than focus on an exterior crust. But that's just preference on my part. Cooking at a lower temp will not give you a very good outer crust, but you can counter that by taking the rib out to rest & bump the oven up to it's max (500-550). Let it preheat a full 30 minutes while the rib rests, uncovered, on the counter. Then blast it in the hot-as-hades oven...but for no more than 4-5 minutes...any longer than that & you're right back where you started with the grey color around the outer edge.

Your rib looks great...

That was actually the exact game plan I started with. I'd looked through some historical data and it looked like it would be done in about 2 hrs at 225. I planned for that but wasn't close to done at that point. I ran for about 1.5 hrs at 225-250 then 1 hr at 275 then last 45 minutes at 300+.

Dinner was about 1 hr later than what I had planned but the prime rib more than made up for it ;-)

Next time I'm going to give myself much more time to cook and so can do more of a traditional reverse sear.

I can't afford another prime grade ribeye roast anytime soon. Will be keeping my eye out for a sale on choice!

Back