Price to sell Ribs?

smokemaster1

Full Fledged Farker
I took some ribs to my barber to try out. He gave one of his customers a rib to taste and now the guy wants me to cook 3-4 racks of spares for him. I told him to supply the ribs and I'll do the rest.
How much should I charge him for my outstanding cooking skills? :p

he's supplying? Cover your fuel cost, and your time, and your rub/sauce. My guess, 5hrs, 10bucks for charcoal, another 5 for sauce. hmm, germany, not many bbq joints there. But ours in NY get about $20 a rack. For $80, if it's worth it, go for it, for me, idk, i value my time a little higher than 18/hr

I wouldn't let him buy the ribs. You won't know how they are stored etc. You will take all the blame if they aren't stored correctly and someone gets sick. I would price similar to,what a,Que joint charges. If your time is worth the cash do it or plan it around a cook for yourself

I wouldn't let him buy the ribs. You won't know how they are stored etc. You will take all the blame if they aren't stored correctly and someone gets sick. I would price similar to,what a,Que joint charges. If your time is worth the cash do it or plan it around a cook for yourself

Like he said, I'm thinkin you don't even know this guy?

I'm a little more trusting and I make friends quickly. I'm sure these are coming straight from the store or butcher and aren't found in an alleyway somewhere. :rolleyes: There's no way I would charge a "reasonable" rate for making a few racks of ribs. What I would do typically is have him give me 5-8 racks, depending on how hungry I am. I'd give him 3-4 and I'd typically keep 2-4 for my dinner -- it seems cheap, but I figure I'm getting dinner out of it. If you feel more comfortable buying it then that's fine too, but for such a small job, I think this is the only thing that really make sense. There is virtually no difference in cost or effort. I've gotten a meal and made a friend.

i have come across a similar situation where i cooked 6 racks for a guy i supplied the ribs and he gave me cost plus twenty and 2 racks and a promise that when its time for the family renunion i will be the one cooking and he has rich relatives to pay for it all.

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm going to buy the ribs and cook them. Not in it for the money, but $10 per rack for my time and effort, plus meat cost.

Back