Prepping for first big cook (more Pron to be added)

well I got up at 11 and got the chimney going then laid them on top in the basket with red oak and hickory mixed in.

IMG_9578.jpg

IMG_9582.jpg

Then injected the butts with apple juice and whats this here sauce, put a bit more rub on, then on to the drum they went at 12am.

IMG_9584.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

These guys are huge. Time to make sure the temp has gone steady :becky:

More to come...

How's it going after the wind and rain?

Temp dropped to 150°-160° I went to sleep for 1.5 hours and it dropped. The temp is back up to 250° but the meat is still at 133°. I should be safe, right? safe as far as the food, not timing. I might have to crank the temp up some.

You are good to go. You may need an Auber or Ique 110 for winter and spring cooks.

ok cool. I saw you got an Auber, you liking it?

Should I raise the cook temp to 250° to be done around 1-2 pm? I wasnt planning on foiling, wanted the harder bark. I was gonna pull at 195-200 then rap in foil to rest for as long as they need.

ok cool. I saw you got an Auber, you liking it?

Should I raise the cook temp to 250° to be done around 1-2 pm? I wasnt planning on foiling, wanted the harder bark. I was gonna pull at 195-200 then rap in foil to rest for as long as they need.

I actually like both, but the Ique 110 comes with less headaches, but no internal ambient temp. It also comes with the stock 5 to 15 CFM fan.

If you like to fark around a little with electronics the Auber may be for you, just upgrade to the higher CFM fan.

What temp are your butts at?

So are we all agreeing that having them at 130-135° 7.5 hours in, but smoker temp dropped to 150-160 for 1.5 hours, Im still safe? The smoker is now at 250°
Thanks!

Edit, got the answer I needed, got the temp up and smoke on. The internal temps on both butts is over 140 and one is close to 150 now. Thanks to my rub pusher BBS for the help!

Last edited:
Chicken legs in fridge covered with a bit of olive oil, Simply Marvelous season all and a splash of Sweet Seduction. The season all is so good on chicken!

IMG_9593.jpg

IMG_9594.jpg

Well had to pull and foil, taking just a bit too long. One was at 174 and the other at 169°. Its been 13 hours and guest show up in about 4 hours. I want to let it rest at least an hour.

IMG_9595.jpg

The set up to cook with

IMG_9596.jpg

Mac and cheese waiting their turn in the smoke, cheddar on the left mexican cheese and jalpanos on the right

IMG_9597.jpg

Everyone in the pool! and play nice

IMG_9598.jpg

more to come, Im kinda talking to myself

Looking good! Can't wait to see all the finished product. I'm starting my cook tomorrow AM

Nice planning and nice pronning so far. Can't wait to see how it went! Glad you got your butts under control. extended cook times can be really stressful. I just picked up Plowboyz Yardbird today and Bone Suckin Rub. My first boughten (as my wife would say) rubs. I'm interested to see how the Bacon wrapped smokies came out too.

OK pork came out great! I pulled one with 50/50 blues hog, and the other with Simply Marvelous cherry sauce:tape:
IMG_9599.jpg

IMG_9600.jpg

All pulled before sauce

IMG_9601.jpg

Table loaded up

IMG_9603.jpg

Plate loaded up

IMG_9602.jpg

Chicken!

IMG_9604.jpg

The lil smokies were gone before I got back in :doh: The coleslaw came out awesome, and the pork was served as sliders on king hawaiian rolls. The mac and cheese was a great hit, and the pie was gone before pics were taken.

I thank all that I have learned from, and everyone for the bday wishes, and Steph for all the Simply Marvelous goodies!!!

One more thing, I started the UDS at 11pm Friday night, and shut all the vents down at 8pm Saturday night, 21 hours on a full basket with some left. WOW :clap2:

Back