Preparing turn-in boxes on Friday?

Was glad to see this post. We did it on Sat. at our first comptetition. Just too much going on to do it right. We had thought about doing it Fri. night, but decided not to. Wish we had.

A little trick was taught to me when I started doing boxes. After your box is made, take a paper towel lay it over the parsley and lighly dampen it and close the lid. Then stick it some place cool. Then when you go to make your box you also have damp towel to touch up the box with.

i have done this but i was in an rush and the paper towel got stuck to the top of the lid and i turned it in and the steam from the hot meat droped the towel right on the meat and a big DQ came out of this lesson:rolleyes:

I'll be the dissenting voice here. I customarily do ours on Saturday morning, for a number of reasons. One is that I'm doing other things, and the other is that at most comps we go to it's too damn hot to mess with garnish on Friday afternoon unless I want it to instantly wilt. Friday evening, I'll attend the cook's meeting, and do the last of the meat prep. By the time that's done, it's bedtime for me and the boys. My hands are free on Saturday morning, it's considerably cooler, and I can bang the boxes out in an hour in between lending VQ a hand here and there.

Is everyone using parsley

It sure seems like it. But we still don't. Hoping that it gets to be boring or something.
Time for a new poll I guess...

We have done boxes the night before and the day of comps. Works either way, depending on the quality of your garnish in the first place. I've also had to go get NEW garnish the morning OF, just because the stuff I brought didn't make it.

We tried something new this last comp...

While we did build the boxes over night (it was something to do while I was awake any way), I knew that they were just not up to what we needed so I had Angelo clean them up once he woke up... He did great... I think we have a new 'Box B!tch'... Sorry bud but it's you!

We always plan on doing them Friday night.

6pm Friday - We ask "who is doing the boxes?"..everyone scatters.
8pm Friday - It's decided that "someone" must do them....after dinner.
11pm Friday - Try to roust those in a drunken stupor that they were "elected" to do the boxes.
11:15 Friday - break up fight
Midnight - After a long discussion and numerous beers it's decided that "garnish is not important"

8am Sat. - I start asking "who is doing the boxes?"
9am Sat. - Start offering other teams to pay them to do our boxes.
10am Sat. - Find half the parsley sitting out all night. The other half is under the ice in the beer cooler.
11am Sat. - Make a box of what no one would call a putting green.
Noon Sat. - State to anyone that will listen "Next time we'll do them Friday night"....yeah...right!

Uncle Bud

I'll be the dissenting voice here. I customarily do ours on Saturday morning, for a number of reasons. One is that I'm doing other things, and the other is that at most comps we go to it's too damn hot to mess with garnish on Friday afternoon unless I want it to instantly wilt. Friday evening, I'll attend the cook's meeting, and do the last of the meat prep. By the time that's done, it's bedtime for me and the boys. My hands are free on Saturday morning, it's considerably cooler, and I can bang the boxes out in an hour in between lending VQ a hand here and there.

Since you live in the Ninth Ring of Hell that makes a whole lot of sense.:twisted:

we always plan on doing them friday night.

6pm friday - we ask "who is doing the boxes?"..everyone scatters.
8pm friday - it's decided that "someone" must do them....after dinner.
11pm friday - try to roust those in a drunken stupor that they were "elected" to do the boxes.
11:15 friday - break up fight
midnight - after a long discussion and numerous beers it's decided that "garnish is not important"

8am sat. - i start asking "who is doing the boxes?"
9am sat. - start offering other teams to pay them to do our boxes.
10am sat. - find half the parsley sitting out all night. The other half is under the ice in the beer cooler.
11am sat. - make a box of what no one would call a putting green.
Noon sat. - state to anyone that will listen "next time we'll do them friday night"....yeah...right!

Uncle bud
rotflmao!!!

Back