pre trimming chicken

Hello all! 1st post here, new member. My wife Valerie just e-mailed Fred Bohn From Dover Downs explaining the trimmed meat situation and how it is within the KCBS rules and he reponded that he misunderstood, and that we are right.

Chris

ps What spot are you all in?

Thinking outloud... If you cook to internal of 145... How are the ickies inside of the meat? Wouldn't they be on the outside, that is above 145?

I guess this is more of a question for me too...

If you cook at low enough temps, the temperature variation between internal and external may not be enough to kill the bacteria.

You're right Paul. I was thinking more of searing... As the outside would be hotter than the internal...

So it is OK to pretrim for Dover? Do we bring the receipt or the container that the meat came in as proof? Or does it not really matter now? Sorry lots of questions... This is our 2nd comp and the last thing I want to have to do is go find some meat in Delaware. :smile:

When I emailed Fred I didnt go into a lot of detail so thanks to Valerie for being persistant!!

We have done 6 comps this year and pre trimmed all. We were never asked for a receipt or packaging. If you are still concerned clip off all the labels (weight.. price.. date..) and stick em in the ziplock. We are in 51, hopefully early, but I always say that! Stop by and say hello.

Chris

The Amish don't compete, but they do make a fine line of cookers in Lancaster, PA called Meadow Creek. The company runs a BBQ restaurant as well. I have been there and was impressed. If any of you have been to the event in New Holland you know them.

The Amish don't compete, but they do make a fine line of cookers in Lancaster, PA called Meadow Creek. The company runs a BBQ restaurant as well. I have been there and was impressed. If any of you have been to the event in New Holland you know them.
I do believe that they are Mennonite's and not Amish

Trust me, they are Amish. In my job I work in Lancaster and deal with all the sects and they, at Meadow Creek are Amish. Most, but not all Mennonite, are clean shaven and if they use carriages, they are black. The Amish always have beards (after they get married) and use gray carriages.

I'm not an expert by any means in the Amish religion but I don't think cell phones are allowed to be used by the Amish and I know that Melvin uses one.

If they discuss it with the church leaders and they feel it's necessary to run the business, they are allowed not only cell phones, but fax machines, phones, etc. Trust me, I work with these folks every day.

Back