Pre-slicing a Brisket for the Wife's Potluck?

AZRaptor

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Jeff
So it's that time of year again for office parties and potlucks and my wife has decided not to do her traditional meatballs for the shindig, but would like to bring brisket. Now I'm always up for cooking more brisket, but the question is how best to transport and hold it until the potluck gets going.

My first instinct was to get up in the early early morning, cook the brisket, wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler with towels for her to take to work and pull out and slice when the time is right, but she would prefer to not have to slice it at work. So... is there a good way for me to slice it at home and pack it up to keep it moist until the party? My thought was to slice it but keep the slices all in sequence and then re-wrap it in 2 or 3 layers of foil with some of the au jus inside the foil. Would that work well or does anyone have a better suggestion? (i.e., besides making her slice it at work which I know is the best option.)

I did one for my brother. I sliced, kept them together, put it in a full pan wrapped in foil and into a cooler. Accroding to him everyone went batsh*t for it so it held up well right before serving.

20140301_170237.jpg

I prefer Dicing brisket intended for later reheating and served a pseudo-chopped. easier to reheat, keep moist and not have to worry about integrity of the slice. plus mixing the point and flat seems to help both

I did one for my brother. I sliced, kept them together, put it in a full pan wrapped in foil and into a cooler. Accroding to him everyone went batsh*t for it so it held up well right before serving.

20140301_170237.jpg

^^^This. Either this way or slice on sight.

So it's that time of year again for office parties and potlucks and my wife has decided not to do her traditional meatballs for the shindig, but would like to bring brisket. Now I'm always up for cooking more brisket, but the question is how best to transport and hold it until the potluck gets going.

My first instinct was to get up in the early early morning, cook the brisket, wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler with towels for her to take to work and pull out and slice when the time is right, but she would prefer to not have to slice it at work. So... is there a good way for me to slice it at home and pack it up to keep it moist until the party? My thought was to slice it but keep the slices all in sequence and then re-wrap it in 2 or 3 layers of foil with some of the au jus inside the foil. Would that work well or does anyone have a better suggestion? (i.e., besides making her slice it at work which I know is the best option.)

How long of a wait from when she gets to work and they eat?

If you must slice prior to service, I would slice and place in an aluminium pan. I woudl also have some heated au-jus in the pan just enough to come up 1/8 of the way on the meat. Then wrap the pan in plastic wrap and then foil.

Yes........pan jus. Save the drippings as you cook the briskey and make a pan au jus. It will be smokey and have the flavor of your brisket. Slice, arrange in pan, and pour juice over. Seal tight to keep moisture in and for reheating purposes. I've done it several times and it will be just fine, especially if being consumed in just a few hours.

If you must slice prior to service, I would slice and place in an aluminium pan. I woudl also have some heated au-jus in the pan just enough to come up 1/8 of the way on the meat. Then wrap the pan in plastic wrap and then foil.

Yes........pan jus. Save the drippings as you cook the briskey and make a pan au jus. It will be smokey and have the flavor of your brisket. Slice, arrange in pan, and pour juice over. Seal tight to keep moisture in and for reheating purposes. I've done it several times and it will be just fine, especially if being consumed in just a few hours.

I'm not sure she's going to have the ability to re-heat the pan contents. So if I do a rest and then slice at home and then pan it with jus, is it going to stay warm for hours that way? Hmmm

ssv3, do you know how long it was between you panning and wrapping it for him and him serving it? curious as to how long it was able to hold it's heat without actively reheating it.

I'll be packing it up with towels in an Igloo Ice Cube rolling cooler so it will be easy to pull while she's carrying her normal work stuff in.

Slices on edge,not flat, in a crockpot with aujus would work, just keep layering as needed to stack in. Put it on low when she gets there.

She was trying to avoid the crockpot (which was why she isn't doing the meatballs) but if it's all packed up in the cooler it should be easy to manage transporting.

ssv3, do you know how long it was between you panning and wrapping it for him and him serving it? curious as to how long it was able to hold it's heat without actively reheating it.

I'll be packing it up with towels in an Igloo Ice Cube rolling cooler so it will be easy to pull while she's carrying her normal work stuff in.

It wasn't too long. About an hour from slice to eating but wrapping it really good you should be fine.

Ok, brisket is on at 275. I'm thinking it will be done somewhere around 6am which will give me 60-90 minutes to let it rest before slicing it. Looks like it will be about four hours between slicing it and serving it. so I'm going to shoot for having her take it in either in the crockpot or a pan with jus. Just have to see how it goes.

She told me I was stressing far too much about it, but dang it all, my name's on this brisket. Who cares if I don't know a single person, besides her, who will be eating it. :loco:

Attachments

• IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 80
Anxious to hear how this goes and what method you used. Thought about doing the same thing with a brisket but have had the same concerns.

20140301_170237.jpg

Daaaayum Sako! That's one fine lookin' brisket right there!

I just posted to see that pic again.

Back