THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

keeperofsecrets

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
ringo
We are having record heat in the south, but right before that wave hit, while the missus was out of town to see her folks, I decided to work out the temps and process for que on my open pit in my BBQ ShaQUE. The day before, I put 24 sticks of wood and cardboard in the pit:

xqDpekT.jpg

At the gawdawful hour of 3 am, I started the fire:

xC4E7md.jpg

4 am:

h9cypkw.jpg

5 am:

L3wjp7i.jpg

6 am: I cleaned out my freezer a few days before and had one pork butt, one chuck roast, one brisket, and one three-boned beef back rib and put them on.

w8wdoN7.jpg

Put the lid on:

JU76UQW.jpg

A few hours and a few spritz sessions later, I pulled off a small hunk of brisket I trimmed off of the packer the night before and cooked separately:

nJWuxTG.jpg

A little later, off came the back ribs:

8459EA1.jpg

NMcJS6s.jpg

TXSBAdF.jpg

Later, the chuck roast:

z0EgCN0.jpg

Then the pork butt. I didn't get a picture of it. Finally, about 4:00, the packer came off and it got sliced, vacuum sealed, and frozen for later use:

nI9lFJS.jpg

Last night, I made creamy risotto, parmesan coated ass-paragus and snap peas and served with the de-boned back rib meat:

2l70Z8d.jpg

It tasted better than it plated. Overall, everything worked out well.

Post-mortem (lessons learned):
1) Temperature: The pit insulates - especially with the lid - and is hotter than it appears. I didn't measure temps but will next time. The bottoms of the meats all were well-done.
2) Use aluminum instead of plywood as a lid or set up a separate burn barrel or area not near the plywood. I ended up catching it on fire where the wood overhung the fire I was burning for coals.
3) The conditions were perfect. A slight breeze, no rain, no gusts. Any change in these conditions might adversely impact the performance of the outdoor open pit.

cheers!

Great Cook there... that looks like a blast.

It is still a goal of mine to show up at a cookoff (or even a cookout for a large crowd) with a truckload of cinder blocks, build a pit and feed the masses with the meat from it.

You are the man!

rb

Back