Practice Makes Perfect

The brisket was really good. It tasted as good as it looks in the picture. It may just be a personal best for me. I just had some of the leftovers that were frozen and then boiled in FoodSaver bags and it was amazing.

The chicken was good too. Very tender and the skin was soft as butter. I did grill the chicken over direct heat before smoking. But I understimated the time remaining by a good 60 minutes which resulted in the darker color.

I would be disappointed if the brisket didn't result in a walk at a 40 team contest but the chicken may have been middle of the pack.

Paul, so how would you have done the chicken different after the grill?

Assuming I'm cooking for a competition, I probably would have delayed dunking in sauce until the thighs were around 155F internal. Alternatively, I may have just let them smoke in the dunk tank for the entire post grilling cook.

But don't ask me. Chicken has been our nemesis for the last year. It used to be our best category but has been the tail to our kite throughout 2007.

I'm going to be the so far only slightly dissenting opinion here on the brisket... I think it could be slightly improved by making sure the 2 rows of chunks were more even. It looks like a piece was already taken on the left. Either even them up or move the front row so it's centered on the back row. And, since you used garnish, put a bit (just a bit) more behind the brisket and along the sides to frame the meat a bit more. And get rid of the piece sticking up in the back at least.

With that said, it would likely get a 8 from me... The photos also make the slices look a bit dry, so spraying them with some sugar water or some such might help.

Paul, did that brisket come out of the KingFisher? That's got one hell of a ring.

It was cooked in the Kingfisher. I didn't pat the brisket dry coming out of the marinade just rubbed it down and stuck it on the smoker while wet and sticky. It seems that every time I do this I get a well defined smoke ring.

Not a judge, but they both look good to me:-D

This thread got me stimulated to do some cooking this weekend too. I stopped at Sam's on the way home this evening and picked up a brisket and a cry o vac of spares, gonna work on some boxes this weekend myself.:cool: Only 2 months til Hammond:-D

http://www.hammondbluesandbbq.com/

Back