THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most judges will ignore the smoke ring but this one would be hard. It DOES affect appearance and, in my opinion, negatively. Based on what you said I'd definitely go with more center slices, then.

You say you've done well with the tenderness -- that's good. How is the moisture? In my opinion (5 years, 31 contests) tenderness and moisture are the hardest aspects with brisket. The majority of the entries I've judged have a problem with either or both.

As a cook, too, I've learned my injections and foiling are the most critical aspects for these attributes. Also, bigger packers cook up way better than flats. Net: If you can consistently produce great pull-test tenderness and high moisture you should get walks -- brisket's natural beefy flavor doesn't need a lot of sauce or rub and most people find it pleasing without much spicing other than adequate salt.

Hub

Back